Carriage identification

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Mike 1

Carriage identification

Post by Mike 1 »

This picture by H Gordon Tidy is GSWR 4-4-0 No 78 On an Up Stranraer Boat Express. It is being catalogued by the LNWR Society because the leading carriage is an LNWR 45ft Family Saloon. However, it has been suggested that the carriages are Caledonian. Can anyone confirm and identify them please?

Mike
Attachments
GSWR and Family Saloon.jpg
GSWR and Family Saloon.jpg (57.07 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Carriage identification

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Hello Mike

After the family saloon, carriages 1, 3 and 4 look like CR 48ft x 8ft 6in, with a 45ft as number 2. If you PM me a higher res image, I'll be able to be more definite/specific

Best

Mike
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Thanks Mike.

Mike1
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Would agree with Mike W from what I can see at this resolution. I too wouldn't mind seeing a higher quality scan by PM if possible.

Jim Smellie
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Details passed back to LNWR Society, who give their thanks. They probably have a batter scan, but may charge for it. I don't have one, sorry.

Mike
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

There are four (yes four!) copies on the SLS website - described in the Tidey version as an Up Stranraer boat express passing Gretna. Can someone organise us a hi-res version for further study please.

Best

Mike
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

‘True Line no. 37’, May 1992, page 14, previously featured this image. The subsequent issue, no. 38, page 29, featured a fairly authoritative explanation of the composition of the working from Charles Underhill.

According to Charles, the leading vehicle was a WCJS Family Saloon of Diagram 13, of which twenty were built between 1899 and 1901. Please see ‘Register of WCJS’pages 217-223, by P.A.Millard and R.M. Casserley (HMRS, 1980) The second carriage is a CR 48 ft. brake third of D. 49. It is followed by an older CR 6 wheel third to D.10. The next two carriages appear to be CR 48 ft. lavatory thirds of D.48, followed by a CR 30 ft. 6-wheel full brake to D.16 at the rear

Charles assessed that the WCJS Saloon was presumably being returned empty after working to either the PP&W or Stranraer.

Does anyone have an alternative analysis of this working?

Regards
Arnold T.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

In view of Arnold's indication of a source of the photo and explanation within The True Line, I assume the hi-res copy from the FSLS site is no longer required.

JimS
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Arnold

Many thanks for pointing us to that information. I had completely forgotten about the photo previously being in the TL.

Jim :D