Mineral Wagon Cupboard Doors

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
JimG

Mineral Wagon Cupboard Doors

Post by JimG »

I'm drawing up a Diag 46 Mineral wagon to create a file for 3D printing. I'm using the GA drawing which appearedin the wagon book. One thing I noted was a note on the end elevation of the wagon about one inch oak lining inside doors.

CaledonianDiag46Door.jpg
CaledonianDiag46Door.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

I have a memory of having seen the inside of a cupboard door where the lining is diagonal planking. Would this be correct? If so does anyone have the width of these planks.

Jim G
jimwatt2mm

Re: Mineral Wagon Cupboard Doors

Post by jimwatt2mm »

My understanding is that the doors were double skinned. Horizontal planks on the outside and vertical on the inside. Could the oak lining be the latter?

Jim W
JimG

Post by JimG »

jimwatt2mm wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:56 am My understanding is that the doors were double skinned. Horizontal planks on the outside and vertical on the inside. Could the oak lining be the latter?
Jim,

That looks like a reasonable assumption to give stability to the three horizontal planks on the outside. There are four bolts along the hinge strap on a door so I will assume that there are four vertical planks - until someone proves me wrong. :D I know I've seen a picture somewhere of diagonal internal planking on cupboard doors but I can't remember where I saw it. I'm assuming that inner and outer planks would have been nailed together to avoid the door sagging, although with diagonal planking with a plank having a strapping bolt at each end would have provided triangulation to avoid a sag.

Jim G.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

In this photo of Carnwath goods yard, scanned from 'Lanarkshire's Lost Railways' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lanarkshires-L ... 1872074960), p47, you can just make out the vertical planks on the inside of the doors on the wagon nearest the camera but one. At least, on the original you can!
Carnwath Yard.jpg
Carnwath Yard.jpg (114.9 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Jim W
JimG

Post by JimG »

Jim,

I've gone with the four vertical planks on the inside of each door :-
CaledonianDiag46Door-02.jpg
CaledonianDiag46Door-02.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
This is the latest image from the CAD package. I will do the end door separately so that I have an open end when printing to avoid suction problems. So just the strapping and hinges for the cupboard doors to do.

I do the buffer stocks separately because I fit sprung buffer heads and its easier to drill the stocks by holding them in a chuck in the lathe.

Jim G.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I did my etched Dia 22's with three planks on each door. :( Should have counted the bolts on the strapping! :oops:
Dia. 22 8T minerals.JPG
Dia. 22 8T minerals.JPG (60.26 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
Jim W
JimG

Post by JimG »

Just got all the strapping on and the inside detailing as well :-

CaledonianDiag46-01.jpg
CaledonianDiag46-01.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 3049 times

I spent half the evening placing nuts. :D I'll try a 3D print tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Jim.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Looks good. Any chance of a print being used as a master for a True Line offering?
JimG

Post by JimG »

Jim,
caleyJim wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:30 pm Looks good. Any chance of a print being used as a master for a True Line offering?
The print is to S scale as is the STL file. But I could make the STL file available for anyone who wants to re-scale it in a slicer.

And I've still got to do the end door. :D

Jim.
jasp

Post by jasp »

caleyJim wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:30 pm Looks good. Any chance of a print being used as a master for a True Line offering?
Diagram 46 was available from TLM
Jim P
ScottW

Post by ScottW »

Jim, would the lower half of L-Shape brackets, holding up the sides, not have been hidden by the floor boards? That’s certainly how I interpret the G.A.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

jasp wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:03 pm
Diagram 46 was available from TLM
Jim P
Dho! So it was. Perhaps there is scope for a re-release? I presume it would need a new mould so cost would need to be weighed against demand.
JimG

Post by JimG »

ScottW wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:33 pm Jim, would the lower half of L-Shape brackets, holding up the sides, not have been hidden by the floor boards? That’s certainly how I interpret the G.A.
Scott,

I debated that with myself for a bit. :D But the top elevation shows the outline of the bottom section of the support brackets as a solid line which I have always undertood to mean that there's nothing above the bracket. I would have expected the bottom section to be shown as dotted if it was under the floor plank. A picture would be great. But I suspect if the bracket bottoms were not covered the gaps would have filled up after a few loads of coal. :D A picture in the carriage and wagon building works might be better if one was ever taken.

However if the bottom ends are covered, with the joys of 3D CAD, replacing the cut planks with full planks will correct the matter, and all done in a few seconds. :D

Jim.
JimG

Post by JimG »

I've had another look at the plans and I have to confess that my solid lines don't look as solid as some others, especially on the support bracket adjacent to the end door. So I've replaced the affected floor planks with full ones and here's the result :-

CaledonianDiag46-02.jpg
CaledonianDiag46-02.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

I've also drawn up the end door separately and added it to the body to give the full wagon :-

CaledonianDiag46-03.jpg
CaledonianDiag46-03.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

I haven't attempted to do the hinge hoops. I would add them after printing using brass or nickel silver wire.

Jim.
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Very nice Jim - really quite superb. I hope the printer is a good one to do justice to all your detailing. Will this be 4mm or 7mm?

Mike
JimG

Post by JimG »

Mike 1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:09 pm Very nice Jim - really quite superb. I hope the printer is a good one to do justice to all your detailing. Will this be 4mm or 7mm?
Mike,

It's S scale although it would be possible to scale the file up and down in the slicer to cover 4mm and 7mm scales. There's nothing too thin which won't suffer on the scale down to 4mm. The only things that might have to be adjusted are the plank joints. I find that I have to apply small chamfers to the edges of planks to print up as obvious joints. If you don't do this the joints are invisible in the print. However, the size oi the chamfers can be critical so I have to be prepared to adjust them to get the best effect. On the file, the chamfer size is 0.1mm x 0.1mm and the prints seem fine to me.

I'm using the Phrozen Sonic MIni 4K printer which gives excellent detail since its pixel size is 35 microns which is a bit finer than the usual 50 microns. I'm also using the Phrozen Aqua 4K resin which seems to cope with detail very well.

I've now done a file for a Diag. 52 mineral by, basically, just sticking a fifth eight inch plank on the top and extending the strapping. The only problem with that is not in the printing, but having to draw up an etch for the Mcintosh patent brake gear since most, if not all, of the Diag. 52 were so fitted according to the wagon book.

Here's the Diag. 52

CaledonianDiag52-01.jpg
CaledonianDiag52-01.jpg (65.07 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

I've just noticed that I still have to add some bolts to the end door. :D

Jim G.
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Thank you Jim. I look forward to seeing a picture of the printed body.

Mike