Caledonian Coaches at Bo'ness 09.09.12

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Jim Summers

Caledonian Coaches at Bo'ness 09.09.12

Post by Jim Summers »

Thought folk might be interested to see the Caley vehicles in use at the SRPS Vintage Carriages day yesterday.

Jim
Attachments
Caley Coaches at Bo'ness #3 compressed.JPG
Caley Coaches at Bo'ness #3 compressed.JPG (21.18 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Caley Coaches at Bo'ness #2 compressed.JPG
Caley Coaches at Bo'ness #2 compressed.JPG (22.56 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
John Paton

Re: Caledonian Coaches at Bo'ness 09.09.12

Post by John Paton »

Jim,

The carriages look great! Something that has always mystified me is that when I was a member of the SRPS as a youngster in the early 70s (I left in frustration when they aborted Alloa - Dollar), there was another Caley coach in the collection. It appeared in the Guide and Stock List which I bought in 1972 (see attachment). The photo shows it looking in reasonable condition. Does anyone know what happened to it?

John Paton
Attachments
SRPS mystery Caley coach.jpeg
SRPS mystery Caley coach.jpeg (386.84 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

John,
I approached Alistair McPhee, who is the guru on such things, and here is his reply, which is rather sad.
Jim S

Alistair says:
I was around when 464 was saved for the collection, having used her for a tour of the Bandeath site in 1970. She came to Falkirk - by rail, although unbraked, in 1971. She was then allowed to deteriorate badly. There was eventually a banana bend in the chassis, caused by corrosion, and the bottom side members were badly rotted.

The vehicle was dismantled in around 1979-80 by a couple of members who were going to rebuild her. Then came the move to Bo'ness, and the vehicle was not repaired in the rush to do everything else. I came across the underframe some years ago: it is parked behind the Romney Hut with the remains of the floor, bottom side members and the ends present. The dismantled remains of the body are at the end of the RCB, together with some of the doors. The roof boards are also in the RCB, between the rails on one of the roads. The roof carlines are in a National Carriers container behind the Museum and the seats in the loft of the Running Shed - I think. Many, many of the fittings have been lost.

Some years ago, I offered to conserve - at least - some of the remains. John Burnie was again supportive and we did a study to compare the underframe with that of an LNWR third at Brechin. [Alistair attached this and I can supply to anyone who asks - Jim].

The vehicle is now beyond economic restoration, perhaps even beyond conservation. It is a great shame as it is of considerable historical importance being one of only 3 surviving CR vehicles and the only non-corridor one. This reflects very poorly on us all as guardians of this heritage.

Happy to discuss poor old 464 with you and to show you the remains!!
David Elvy

Re: Caledonian Coaches 464

Post by David Elvy »

I would be interested to know more about coach 464, present location and what original parts still exist?

One question that always comes to mind when people talk about restoration is how is a project classed as restoration, what is refurbished and what should be classed as being a replica using original parts?

David
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

David,
The argument about preservation, conservation, restoration is one for a discussion over a pint, or more, I fear. I am no expert, though I am involved in carriage restoration at Bo'ness.

I'll pass you the email address of Dr McPhee in a Personal Message, and you can ask him about viewing the bits and the philosophy of preservation.
He's very helpful.

Jim