Carriages at Perth pre-1877

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
dumb buffer

Re: Carriages at Perth pre-1877

Post by dumb buffer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Dave

A point that occurred the other day is that there are quite a number of carriages in these pictures with rails on the roof, presumably for luggage. It seems that such rails were normal on carriages built before roughly 1860, but I have looked in vain through my collection of pictures, and have been unable to find even one with any luggage on. Obviously I wouldn't expect luggage on carriages stored in sidings, but in stations or trains? So have you seen any such?

Allan F

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:08 pm

No, I haven't seen photos, but there are paintings of Perth, which I think might show them among the general chaos.
I do however have the reminiscences of one operating man on a (non-Caledonian) railway recording the complaints of passengers during the night at the noise of luggage being dealt with on the roof. So it happened all right.

Jim S

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Off at a bit of a tangent here but the author Adrian Vaughn in his books reminiscing about his times in the signal boxes of the western region discusses the fact that young lads working in the railways were almost universally known as "strappers" and speculates that the term came from a time when it was the job of young agile lads to climb on the tops of coaches and strap down the luggage on the coach roof racks.

Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 am

and have been unable to find even one with any luggage on
Allan
I've not had much luck on that front, and as photography of moving trains was well-nigh impossible at this time we are looking for a train at a station.
The best I have come-up with is this c.1863 photo of LNWR stock at carriage sidings within the original Birmingham New Street. It may not show any luggage in place, but it does, at least, show evidence of how it was stowed and sheeted, implying that the sheeting may not have been removed when not actually in use (though again I have seen no evidence of this on any CR/SCR/SNER vehicles.
LNWR Carriages c1863.jpg
LNWR Carriages c1863.jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
The carriages are identified in Richard Foster's book on Birmingham New Street, and the vehicle with the higher roof profile is a 24ft composite of a type dating from 1862. By some point before this date the inclusion of roof racks had been discontinued for new construction.

Dave L
Happy Easter and whilst on the subject of roof racks, I'm just going out to fit some on the car as the sun is shining here in Cornwall -kayaks rather than surfboards as the the waves are under 4 foot.

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Sunny in Scotland too, Dave. Why am I sitting at a computer?

Jim S

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:08 am

That's a lovely atmospheric picture, Dave, and leaves little doubt that the roof racks were in use at that time, on that railway. There's a sketch from a very early period, which gives an indication of the chaos at a busy terminal, and which I'll find when I get a round tuit. what seems clear is that putting luggage on the roof had fallen out of favour by perhaps the late 1860's, if not earlier. I'm fascinated by the width of the lower footboards. They must have been very narrow coaches. I was thinking as I got on the Pendolino at Carlisle, and the lower footstep oozed gently out, how agile our ancestors were.

You're lucky with your sunshine. My daughter took her children to St Andrews beach today and couldn't see the sea due to thick fog. Sea fog, and likely to continue this week, anyway.

Allan F

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm

I purchased this Postcard dated 1904 of the Carriage Sidings at "Perth from Barnhill", the Carriages in the foreground appear to be very early pre-1877, 4 Oil Lamps on the roofs, perhaps someone can identify them?
Although posted on 21/07/1904 the photograph must be much earlier.
David Blevins.
Attachments
Perth Barnhill.jpg
Perth Barnhill.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 2452 times