Mike Gilgannon documents

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Jim Summers

Mike Gilgannon documents

Post by Jim Summers »

As many of you know, I helped Jeannie Gilgannon find good homes for the modelling items belonging to our dear colleague, Mike. Everything went, but I realise that one or two odd bits of paper are still in my files. This forum seems the ideal place to share them.

I therefore attach two pages of his records relating to numberplates. It looks as if he was contemplating ordering etches, as the document is headed "Mike Gilgannon", but it also seems to record some researching he had done into likely numbers for individual classes. One can only wish he had been able to build all those hinted at in the document.

Also part of the pdf. attached is a sketch with dimensions of LNWR Pway. Would that I had come across what he did for the Caley in that line - I feel sure he must have done. That would have been a good topic for the Infrastructure section of this Forum.

Some folk may be able to shed light on these documents.

I have also come across a reproduction of a Proposed Good Shed for Cathcart, which I think was Mike's inspiration for his rather fine goods shed, which was written up in the Scalefour News. It is a a mucky original drawing and an awkward size, but I'll work on it and publish it in due course.

Jim S.
Mike Gilgannon - no. plates, and LNWR PWay.pdf
(707.08 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
jim mac

Re: Mike Gilgannon documents

Post by jim mac »

Jim
This illustration of the CR permanent way is from the 1907 Railway Magazine and may have been the inspriation for Mike's drawing.
CR PW X-section (850).jpg
CR PW X-section (850).jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 11380 times
I have an A3 scanner if that would assist with the Goods Shed drawing.

jim mac
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

On Line at Last - problems with user name my Computer seemed to remember my email address - sorted now!

The Mike Gilgannon CR Number Plates was a project carried out for the Caledonian Railway Consortium, a predecessor to the Association and the original members ordered Individual Number plates some time in the 1970's, and Mike organised the Manufacture and Supply. I was one who ordered a batch in 4mm, we were trying to establish a Modelling group for the Caley and had a small membership of 20-30 which has certainly grown into a large number within the Association, perhaps we were successful in our aims.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I am glad you have managed to join the Forum, David.

Thanks for the explanation about the numberplates.
Can you remember which Caledonian locos you were ordering numberplates for? And did they materialise?

Jim S
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Jim,
The Number Plates I Ordered and Received were for 11, 12, 25, 29, 100, 34, 155, 583, 267, 615, 620. Not all were Built however!
I am almost certain that the List you have was Mike Gilgannon's Order List. We were asked to supply an Individual Order and he would make up a batch to include everyone's wish list. They duly arrived on one sheet of Brass. There were other Modelling parts he made up for the Consortium, perhaps working with others, and as I said before it was in the 1970's and my memory is a bit vague but someone produced the platform Drinking Fountain also, amongst other 4mm items.

David Blevins
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

As you might suspect John Boyle did them!
station furniture892.jpg
station furniture892.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
It was about 1981 that I sent him photographs of the Gleneagles platform seats, having just got to know his work, so these might be them.

Allan F
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Having posted the picture with the drinking fountain and seats, I have been asked, what are the three odd bits at the top of the sheet. And I have to say I have no idea! Has anyone any notion? Herewith an enlargement of the relevant bit, with attached scale.

Allan F
station furniture3894.jpg
station furniture3894.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 11277 times
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Hi Allan,

This is one of those, "obvious when you know" answers, and a great deal easier to complete in its native 7mm than in the 4mm version, you fold one side back trapping the double-sided enamel sign between.
WEMYSS BAY int17.jpg
WEMYSS BAY int17.jpg (125.92 KiB) Viewed 11273 times
CR Std Station Bracket.jpg
CR Std Station Bracket.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 11273 times
A "preserved" example with a repainted frame. The frame on this one was 36" x 13.75", but various standard sizes were used, the cast iron frames were produced by ?? (John Paton will be able to confirm the supplier as it appears on many station drawings). The enamel signs (usually supplied by The Falkirk Iron Co. could be white lettering on blue, or less commonly blue lettering on white, and although the frames were usually white, sometimes a darker colour (black or purple brown, maybe even blue?) was used regardless of sign colour.
These signs became universal on platform buildings, not just on the James Millar projects but retro-fitted on older and more basic stuctures, as shown here
Innerpeffray 3 SWR.jpg
Innerpeffray 3 SWR.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 11273 times
And a photo I intended posting in the mileposts topic for John Y taken by Stuart Rankin at Innerpeffray in 1965, which shows they lasted well.

I remember the etched No Plate project which I remember was co-ordinated by Len Folkard, the idea being that each member added the numbers they required, rather like the recent commission Tony B arranged with Gay Wells (of 247), though on this earlier project everyone would have received the full set. My memory was that the project never went into production, though I recognise a few plates on the list from me, and several are actually finished!
Last edited by Dave Lochrie on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Dave

Many thanks for that. I must confess I hadn't much looked at that etch -- you find odd things sometimes in the corners of John Boyles etches, and they tend to get left in my round tuit box. But usually I've some idea of what they are!

Allan F
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Allan,
Very true about Johns etches, my Top 3 odd things to find on an etched sheet of John Boyles would be a bird cage, a penny farthing bicycle and a Carron Company cast fire surround, you don't get that kind of thing with a CAD etch!

Dave L
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Yep! Got them!

Allan F