Lanarkshire PO Wagons

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Iain Fraser

Lanarkshire PO Wagons

Post by Iain Fraser »

Can anyone point me at a published source of photos/info regarding PO wagons used in the Lanarkshire area. Im researching at the moment Merry & Cunninghams activities around Blantyre/Bellshill and Hamilton.

Thanks and regards

Iain Fraser
exiled in North Wales
IBrown

Re: Lanarkshire PO Wagons

Post by IBrown »

I'm not sure this is relevant to your inquiry. Grace's Guide is a good source for Industry from a Works and Products viewpoint.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Special:Se ... Cunningham

I can make an extract from a Parliamentary inquiry where a page or so of Q&A gives some sense of their Iron Master activities and the traffic they generated on both Caledonian and North British lines in Lanarkshire in 1880.
IBrown

Post by IBrown »

Background; Mr Cunningham of Merry & Cunningham was one of the promoters of the proposed independent Bellshill, Motherwell and Wishaw Railway. He personally didn't give evidence at the 1880 Parliamentary Inquiry, but one of the firm's employees did - Robert Harper, a Salesman (coal).

"Merry & Cunningham are Iron Masters on a very large scale in Scotland with Iron Works in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire. Their 20 furnaces consume half a million tons of coal per annum. Their pits in Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire and Ayrshire produce 300,000 tons of coal per annum, principally from the Bothwell Pits, and goes mainly over the *1874 NBR Glasgow, Bothwell and Hamilton railway (GB&H), but some is sent over the CR too, for shipment from Glasgow, and to the Iron Works at Parkhead, Greenock and Dumbarton. They also send coal from their pits near High Blantyre (Auchenraith?).

Merry & Cunningham are also tenants on the Wishaw Estate which is served by the private Wishaw Estate Railway. Although a private railway, CR provide engines, crews and wagons, except at Craigneuth which is worked by Merry & Cunningham's own engine."

*Other evidence led in this Inquiry shows the opening of GB&H opened up a new coalfield. There was also a very important Iron Works on it.
Iain Fraser

Post by Iain Fraser »

IBrown wrote:I'm not sure this is relevant to your inquiry. Grace's Guide is a good source for Industry from a Works and Products viewpoint.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Special:Se ... Cunningham

I can make an extract from a Parliamentary inquiry where a page or so of Q&A gives some sense of their Iron Master activities and the traffic they generated on both Caledonian and North British lines in Lanarkshire in 1880.

Very many thanks for this....Graces guide I was aware of but I didnt join up the dots. Thanks...a fair bit for me to go at there.

Iain
exile in Nth Wales
Iain Fraser

Post by Iain Fraser »

IBrown wrote:Background; Mr Cunningham of Merry & Cunningham was one of the promoters of the proposed independent Bellshill, Motherwell and Wishaw Railway. He personally didn't give evidence at the 1880 Parliamentary Inquiry, but one of the firm's employees did - Robert Harper, a Salesman (coal).

"Merry & Cunningham are Iron Masters on a very large scale in Scotland with Iron Works in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire. Their 20 furnaces consume half a million tons of coal per annum. Their pits in Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire and Ayrshire produce 300,000 tons of coal per annum, principally from the Bothwell Pits, and goes mainly over the *1874 NBR Glasgow, Bothwell and Hamilton railway (GB&H), but some is sent over the CR too, for shipment from Glasgow, and to the Iron Works at Parkhead, Greenock and Dumbarton. They also send coal from their pits near High Blantyre (Auchenraith?).

Merry & Cunningham are also tenants on the Wishaw Estate which is served by the private Wishaw Estate Railway. Although a private railway, CR provide engines, crews and wagons, except at Craigneuth which is worked by Merry & Cunningham's own engine."

*Other evidence led in this Inquiry shows the opening of GB&H opened up a new coalfield. There was also a very important Iron Works on it.
Thanks again... I have a family connection with Auchenraith pit at Blantyre which I think was CR connected. I have just got a copy of the IRS book on Industrial Locos in Scotland and there seems to be a few clues in there. The wagons though have defeated me so far but I assume they must have had a fleet..or did they?

More digging this afternoon but now got to go watch Wales hammer England ;-)

Thanks again

Iain
in North Wales
charles d

Post by charles d »

Apologies for delay in reply - recovering from yesterdays event in Paris.

The HMRS Journal Volume 6 No 2 (April 1968) has an article (including map) on Lanarkshire private trader wagons by G A Russell where he concentrates on wagons handled by Hamilton and Ross yards. Under High Blantyre Auchinraith Colliery is listed as owned by Merry & Cunningham and he states that Caledonian common user mineral wagons were used

Regards

Charles Davidson
Iain Fraser

Post by Iain Fraser »

charles d wrote:Apologies for delay in reply - recovering from yesterdays event in Paris.

The HMRS Journal Volume 6 No 2 (April 1968) has an article (including map) on Lanarkshire private trader wagons by G A Russell where he concentrates on wagons handled by Hamilton and Ross yards. Under High Blantyre Auchinraith Colliery is listed as owned by Merry & Cunningham and he states that Caledonian common user mineral wagons were used

Regards

Charles Davidson
Charles.....many thanks for this. I shall try to locate a copy of that article.
Hope you are recovered from Paris though the boys did us proud I thought. Im currently surrounded by grieving Welshmen, losing to you know who is a bitter pill.
Regards
Iain
exile in Nth Wales
jasp

Post by jasp »

Could the author be George Russell our Hon. President?
Jim P
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

jasp wrote:Could the author be George Russell our Hon. President?
Jim P
It was.

Jim W
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

To back up the statement in the HMRS article, a CR Traffic Committee minute in November 1891 recorded

‘Read the General Manager’s correspondence with Mr Archibald Russell and Ms Merry & Cunningham Ltd, with reference to insufficient supply of Wagons for their collieries and reported that he has allocated 2,000 Mineral Wagons to Hamilton Section.’

Best

Mike
crabapple

Post by crabapple »

To exiled in N Wales from held up in Hertfordshire.

Look at the CR Mineral TT No 41,1 November 1904. Republished by CRA

Pages 47 to 49 list one hundred and four traders who have private wagons working on the Caledonian Line and names of places where they are repaired

Pages 51 ,52 & part of 53 lists private parties who run engines and vans of their own over certain parts of the line. Between Whifflet and Wishaw Central + South, I have counted 20.
This list also names the footplate crew presumably so that the CR outdoor staff can check that they have signed for the road on which found travelling.

Crabapple
Iain Fraser

Post by Iain Fraser »

crabapple wrote:To exiled in N Wales from held up in Hertfordshire.

Look at the CR Mineral TT No 41,1 November 1904. Republished by CRA

Pages 47 to 49 list one hundred and four traders who have private wagons working on the Caledonian Line and names of places where they are repaired

Pages 51 ,52 & part of 53 lists private parties who run engines and vans of their own over certain parts of the line. Between Whifflet and Wishaw Central + South, I have counted 20.
This list also names the footplate crew presumably so that the CR outdoor staff can check that they have signed for the road on which found travelling.

Crabapple
Thank you...very useful references there.
Much appreciated
Iain
exile in N Wales