6 Whl Coach Air Cylinder

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
David Elvy

6 Whl Coach Air Cylinder

Post by David Elvy »

I am just finishing off the brake gear to a 6Whl coach chassis but I have conflicting information regarding the orientation of the air cylinder.
The drawing that came with the kit suggests the cylinder is mounted vertically but all the books have the air cylinder mounted horizontally.

Any advice appreciated.

David
jim mac

Re: 6 Whl Coach Air Cylinder

Post by jim mac »

David
I can't assist with details of a coach, but the following arrangement on the 6-wheel Fish, Fruit & Milk (StR drg 8004, 19/03/1896) might assist.
6-wh chassis brake arrangement elevation.jpg
6-wh chassis brake arrangement elevation.jpg (364.12 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
6-wh chassis brake arrangement plan.jpg
6-wh chassis brake arrangement plan.jpg (324.42 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
jim mac
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Jim

Thanks for confirming that detail.

Any idea why it appears 6 wheel vehicles had this brake cylinder arrangement when general convention was to mount the cylinder horizontal?

David
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

elvan4472 wrote: Any idea why it appears 6 wheel vehicles had this brake cylinder arrangement when general convention was to mount the cylinder horizontal?
I have a copy of the GA for a 6-wheel passenger brake van (from the old OPC collection) which clearly shows the cylinder as horizontally mounted. The drawing appears to be dated April '86, but the stamp is very small on it.

Jim W
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Looking at this again I notice that the fish fruit and milk van is dual fitted. I notice that this is also the case on two drawings I have, for the Dia 84 refrigerator van (HMRS portfolio of Drawings) and a GA for the dia 70 Cattle Box with grooms compartmant and they also have the cylinder mounted vertically. Could it be the case that this was the arrangement for dual fitted vehicles to allow the Westinghouse cylinder to act on the other end of the crank through which the vacuum cylinder activates the brake, whereas on stock solely fitted with the Westinghouse brake the cylinder was horizontal?

Jim W
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

The dual fitted concept could definitely be the reason hence the spring at the opposite end of the activating crank where a vac cylinder is absent.

David