Jumbo Underhung Spring Castings

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Jumbo Underhung Spring Castings

Post by lindsay_g »

I remember, from a good few years ago, there was a thread where someone was looking for white-metal or brass castings of the underhung spring units on the earlier Jumbo tenders (this "thread" might have been on the blog(?) that preceded our present Forum as I can't find anything on the Forum). Whatever, I can't remember the outcome. So, I'm re-posing the question, does anyone know of any available castings that are an acceptable representation of those on the 2500 gallon Stroudley type Jumbo tenders?

Cheers,

Lindsay

P.S. Don't expect to see a complete Jumbo in the near future. This is just me trying to pull together the parts for the day that everything might start to come together.
David Elvy

Re: Jumbo Underhung Spring Castings

Post by David Elvy »

Lyndsay

The post that you are remembering could be one way back when I asked about some details regarding the early Jumbo tenders.
To the best of my knowledge their isn't anything in 7mm scale, I wouldn't know about 4mm scale.

David
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

I too would be very interested in some early underslung springs castings in 4mm. In amongst my odds and sods box ready for future projects I have three Jameson tenders two "short" tanks with rear tool boxes and one long tank but only two sets of underframes castings both the later type with above axle springs so would welcome the chance to fit underslung springs to the third one.
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

Hi all.

I posted a reply on the earlier Caley modeller email group after I found some undergoing spring castings. They were from a supplier near Ironbridge who dealt with one of the Southern companies prototypes, but I can't recall who! They weren't exactly right as the bearing enclosures were rectangular rather than round topped, but should be easily sorted.

I have a photo, but I need to resize it before posting. I'll also rot about in my inbuilt kits box to see if I can find the details tomorrow.

Cheers

John
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Iain Rice did some whitemetal castings many years ago. They were 4mm, and I have some, which I will need to look out. I never checked them against drawings, but they seemed to look the part.

Iain's kit business went to London Road Models, who might - but only might - have some. My recollection was that Iain did them for a kit he envisaged, but it never materialised.

Jim
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Hi Lyndsay,
the Stroudley underhung springs are here -http://www.5and9models.co.uk/parts.html They used to be priced but you need to send an email request for price and availability now but as a rough guide this was the listing from about 2 years ago, so very good value, and several other parts listed will make the postage cost worthwhile.
Stroudley Loco Parts 5&9.jpg
Stroudley Loco Parts 5&9.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
The quality of the mouldings isn't up to Dave Franks standard, and whilst they'll pass for me I not sure if you wouldn't make them yourself, Lyndsay (or make one and get some cast by a friend with a casting business). This picture (I think by Tony B shows them laid out on a Worsley tender underframe etch, and will allow anyone to access whether they are suitable.
Underhung Jumbo Tender Springs.jpg
Underhung Jumbo Tender Springs.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
Dave L
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Thanks for pointing out the link to 5 & 9, Dave. They might be quite handy for some other parts.

However, please take away that Worsley etch - I was studying mine the other day and noticed how wrong the curves are around each side of the axleboxes and at the step. All should be of larger radii with no straight vertical lines. Not an easy one to correct at all.

Lindsay
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

Dave, thanks for finding the supplier for the underslung spring castings, that saves me the job of digging around in the shed! The photo of them on a Worsley etch was mine,

Lyndsay - thanks for pointing out the shortcomings in the etch - I'll see what I can do about them when I get round to assembling the tender.

Cheers

John
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Apologies John, am I right in thinking I saved it from a posting on the predecessor of the CRA Forum, the CR Modellers Email group. I have a couple of sets but I was sure someone had taken the trouble to photograph them, much easier for people to make up their own minds.
I think these castings are used for the EB Models Etched Kits of LBSCR prototypes the Stroudley tender for the C class is listed separately. They also list a set of etched "wooden brake shoes, the website is as tidy as my desktop and is http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/page5.html (so as not to be confused with EB Models, the well known Norwegian Model Agency!!) confused yet -welcome to my world I am grateful to Lyndsay for pointing out the flaws in the Worsley etches and apologise to anyone I may have given or sold a set to when I commisioned the films for 4mm.
Drummond 2500 Gallon Tender.jpg
Drummond 2500 Gallon Tender.jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
I think I might wait and invest in a couple of Pete's kits when they arrive.

Dave L
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Excuse my ignorance but in the add for the springs I presume its the "Stroudley outside tender frame spring set" but the text states four short and two long, I didn't realise they were different sizes or were they not on the Caledonian tenders?
Dunks

Post by Dunks »

lindsay_g wrote: However, please take away that Worsley etch - I was studying mine the other day and noticed how wrong the curves are around each side of the axleboxes and at the step. All should be of larger radii with no straight vertical lines. Not an easy one to correct at all.

Lindsay
Ah, but if you have only just ordered, then you can ask Allen to correct the etch. I presume this will be corrected for everyone in the future. Might be worth asking him to produce the tender frames on their own.

Thanks for raising that point, Lindsay: very timely.
Simon
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

I have finally got round to putting together the 4mm Jumbo tender from the Worsley Works etches. I improved the profile of the frame by filling out the curve with low melt solder then filing it to shape.

Close up photography is very cruel at exposing the shortcomings of ones efforts!

I built the loco with a combination of the boiler and fittings from a DJH kit and the frames, footplate/splashers and cab from the Worsley etches.

Cheers

John
Attachments
Jumbo Tender small.jpg
Jumbo Tender small.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Some neat work there, John.
Always nice to see the cab doors modelled, and the lining around the cutouts is a tricky thing but well worth tackling.

JimS