Mystery building

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Violets49

Mystery building

Post by Violets49 »

Now, heres a thing. While looking for something else, i found an old partly completed drawing that i started many years ago. The drawing is of a station building and is to around 1:152 scale. I seem to recall that it was being done from a photograph in a book. I THINK its a Caley station but a search of all my relevant books has revealed nothing like it. It may, of course simply be the product of my imagination or it may not be Caley at all. Any ideas? Given the quality of the paper, its from about 35-40 years ago.[attachment=0]Drawing of mystery building 001.jpg
Attachments
Drawing of mystery building 001.jpg
Drawing of mystery building 001.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
John Paton

Re: Mystery building

Post by John Paton »

Sorry Jane, I cant identify this as a Caley station. I've also thought about G&SWR stations - such as Castle Douglas, but it doesn't fit. Unusual pair of gables mis-matched in size and each with bay window.
John
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

Thank you John. I wonder if maybe its based on a Lancaster and Carlisle station. It seems to stir memories of Penrith. But some aspects of it suggest it may be a figment of my imagination.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

I did actually think about the L&C, but its stations were designed (or in the case of the smaller stations their design supervised) by Sir William Tite. Tite performed the same role on the Caledonian and Scottish Central railways, so there is a strong design correlation. For example Shap station is generally similar to the standard CR and SCR smaller stations such as Gretna, Ecclefechan, Kirknewton, Larbert (original), Greenloaning; with the exception that the L&C stations don't have crow-stepped gables. Penrith is one of Tite's larger station designs and is very different to your drawing - not least by not having crow-stepped gables.