Harthope Viaduct occupation underpass

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
WCML55.68

Harthope Viaduct occupation underpass

Post by WCML55.68 »

Good evening,

Can anyone help with a broadside photograph showing the shape and size of the opening and retaining walls of the occupation underpass just to the north of the staff cottages beside Harthope Viaduct on Beattock Bank? Or perhaps of any other similar underpass on the Caledonian section of the WCML. Was there a standard design? The link is a distant shot of this, just in front of the 87 at the back of the artic.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/26/635/

Many thanks for any help, Paul.

[img]
230 underpass.jpg
230 underpass.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
[/img]
Jim Summers

Re: Harthope Viaduct occupation underpass

Post by Jim Summers »

Paul,
The October edition of "Steam Days" has a feature on Beattock, and on page 31 is a photo looking down on what may be your underpass.
Obviously I can't post the picture here, but the magazine may be worth buying for that and for the feature of Derek Cross colour pictures. Another shows the enhancement under way of the A74 under Harthope viaduct.
JimS
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Many thanks Jim, I will get a copy. Fingers crossed.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hello Jim, Steam Days duly purchased, thanks for the nod. Would have bought this anyway for the content, but the question still remains. The Duchess on P31 is actually further north just around the corner on the extreme left of the double spread on P32/33. i think the area this side of the Duchess has been buried, presumably with spoil from the M74 construction. The underpass required is actually on the double spread, you can just make out the brickwork immediately to the left of the cottage chimneys, and the yellow van trailer is parked in the entrance to the underpass. A good broadside shot is proving very elusive, but I suspect the shape of the opening is an arch to a standard CR design. Regards, Paul.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hello Jim,
Problem solved. Theres a distant broadside shot on Railscot. The photographer has very kindly provided a high-res shot clearly indicating shape and size of portal.
https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/26/635/
Thanks to all for input. Its saved another trip to Harthope, although I suspect that the underpass, which doesnt go anywhere now, has either been filled in of maybe concrete lined. The area is so overgrown its certainly not visible on Streetview.