Colour scheme - Harthope Staff Cottages

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
WCML55.68

Colour scheme - Harthope Staff Cottages

Post by WCML55.68 »

P1960966 (8).JPG
P1960966 (8).JPG (187.8 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
Good morning,

This enquiry specifically relates to the Caledonian built Harthope staff cottages in BR days, sorry!, but I suspect this will be common to many staff and railway buildings. I wonder if anyone can help with the colours used for bargeboards, guttering, the underside of the roof overhangs, doors and doorframes of the cottages? Only three colour photos have surfaced so far, one is not helpful in this respect. The Flickr shot linked below suggest the bargeboards and doorframes might be maroon but I suspect this is a trick of digitalisation and enlargement. The other is a Colour Rail photo which suggests a bauxite colour, possibly LMS brown?

Class 5MT Stanier
Loco 44902
Location Beattock
Date 06/04/1966
Photographer TO

http://colourrail.co.uk/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8232074029

My own feeling is that the doors appear to be BR ScR blue and that the doorframes and bargeboards etc are all bauxite. Probably had not been repainted for many many years. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know of a supply of round vented chimney pots as per single one on left. 4mm.

Many thanks, Paul.
Alan K

Re: Colour scheme - Harthope Staff Cottages

Post by Alan K »

Can't help with the colours, but that type of chimney pot is easy to make from the brass tips that ballpoint pens used to be made from. I'm pretty sure I made this one that way. All it needed was to drill out the part where the ball was. I think it was from the type where the barrel was made from clear plastic.
IMG_4661.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG (131.01 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Alan
Nice work with the cottage by the way
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion and the encouragement too. Much appreciated. A lot has gone into the cottages to get so far, research as well as sourcing the right materials. Windows, doors and some chimney pots still to make, then finish off the painting. The chimney pots have been a big stumbling block, there are octagonal ones as well. Turns out the octagonal ones were dead easy using slices of two sizes of Maquett profile, albeit hexagonal. Never managed to find a source of octagonal but it hardly shows. I bought a minilathe to do the others but not so easy. Slaters do some cast ones, will try and get some this week, and will also investigate your suggestion.

Completion is in sight, then its the two storey house. Cant wait to start on that,

Paul.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Forgot to mention, Maquett do quite a range of profiles including graduated tubing where the ID of the next size up is the same as the OD of the first piece. Ie they slide over each other. This also was a possibility and shave the top piece down. Ive also a wee platelayers hut to make very similar to your superb one, but sleeper built with a stovepipe stack. Already made one, but some more photos have come to light and Ive got the size totally wrong!