Caledonian Railway chimney pots

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
WCML55.68

Caledonian Railway chimney pots

Post by WCML55.68 »

Good afternoon,

Further to the last post re CR chimney pots, one suggestion, windscreen washer pipe connectors, and one self-inspired, taper ear stretchers, have been investigated. The connectors were unsuitable for me, couldny find the right size or shape despite trawling through around 2000 listings on Ebay and a couple of purchases, but they are worth looking at although very much cheaper if you can find them at the car accessory shop. The other is the route Ive tried, taper ear expanders. Now these are a fashion item so if suitable for your needs, are worth stocking up on whilst available. They are acrylic and work with Plasweld but are much harder to work with than Plastruct etc. Cheap enough and a lot of useful bits. The different shapes and tapers make for very flexible possibilities.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36pcs-Acryli ... 2749.l2649

The octagonal pots photographed are on a CR built block of cottages which are I think the last survivors in the area, certainly the only ones found, they are in Beattock village, Ive not managed to find a source of Octagonal anything to suit, so have settled on Maquett Hexagonal. It looks the part. A jig/clamp has been made to ease straight cutting with an Exacto razor saw, they are simply a length for the main body and several washers of the same size and the next one up assembled totempole fashion.

The vented and tapered pots, not so easy. Photographed on a CR built 2-storey house at Ecclefechan. (several of these were built between Glasgow and Carlisle and a few more to a very similar design by the Lancaster and Carlisle. Same builder I think. There are still a couple of survivors, Two, possibly three CR and one L&C). Nothing even similar found on the market, so I bought a mini-lathe. Not from an engineering background. Not my answer. So the taper ear piece method. The clamp used again and a length cut for the main body and another shorter length for the top. Very fiddly and difficult to get acceptable, the photo shows the first attempt. Top not quite right yet. Only 4 of these to do for the cottages and more for the house when that time comes.

What few photographs found of the cottages at Harthope show a mix of both types, the venteds being a bit taller, presumably they were for the kitchen range? as there is a pattern to the arrangement so I dont think they are random replacements. Work ongoing.

Paul.
Attachments
P1970298 (2).JPG
P1970298 (2).JPG (52.56 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
102F Beattock Village (2).JPG
102F Beattock Village (2).JPG (59.28 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
102F HOUSE ECCLEFECHAN.JPG
102F HOUSE ECCLEFECHAN.JPG (75.66 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Last edited by WCML55.68 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimwatt2mm

Re: Caledonian Railway chimney pots

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Not sure if any of these http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/3d-printed-parts.html might be suitable or capable of modification to suit?

Jim W
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Jim W beat me to it re Smart Models' chimney pots.
I hadn't realised that the main part of your pot was also tapered, so my suggestion of the 'old style' biro tip wouldn't have worked. In any case I'm now of the opinion that these are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth: the current type of cheap ball-point pen tip is entirely different, so I've probably tried to sell you a bum steer! I've searched high and low at home to no avail. I guess any that were around have all been thrown out when the pens dried up. All I have to show for it are two chimneys which I made that way many years ago - honest!!
Is it possible that you could give some dimensions for what you want - diameters/ lengths? After all, it's 'only' two tapered bits of rod joined together, how difficult can that be (says he niaively ....!)

Alan
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I turned the ones for both my model of Rutherglen Weighs office and my Kirkallanmuir Weighs signal box http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2970898 from styrene rod in a minidrill.

Jim W
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

jimwatt2mm wrote:I turned the ones for both my model of Rutherglen Weighs office and my Kirkallanmuir Weighs signal box http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try2970898 from styrene rod in a minidrill.

Jim W
Hi Jim , many thanks for the suggestion, but nothing quite to match the prototype Im afraid. All searches have drawn blanks so Im leaning towards scratchbuilding them using those taper stretchers. Not touched the model for several weeks, so still have to improve the top profile. Then hopefully produce 3 more the same! Will pop a photo on after progress. Well done on the ones youve produced, look great. Paul.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Alan K wrote:Jim W beat me to it re Smart Models' chimney pots.
I hadn't realised that the main part of your pot was also tapered, so my suggestion of the 'old style' biro tip wouldn't have worked. In any case I'm now of the opinion that these are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth: the current type of cheap ball-point pen tip is entirely different, so I've probably tried to sell you a bum steer! I've searched high and low at home to no avail. I guess any that were around have all been thrown out when the pens dried up. All I have to show for it are two chimneys which I made that way many years ago - honest!!
Is it possible that you could give some dimensions for what you want - diameters/ lengths? After all, it's 'only' two tapered bits of rod joined together, how difficult can that be (says he niaively ....!)

Alan
Hello Alan,

Exactly my sentiments, dead easy, NOT!! Im fairly happy in principal with the one vented already done - just need to get the op taper right, its just a case of using the appropriate part of the appropriate taper. Cutting them square and gluing. Those taper ear stretchers really are valuable for this, so many combinations and possibilities. The larger sizes have a sharper taper and you can vary the width depending on where you cut the chunk from, base or tip. Measurements I have not, but pots in general tend to be around 12" across and 30" tall. For me its just a case of trial and error until it looks right and captures the character.. haveny touched the model for several weeks, but will pop a shot one once progress is made.

Many thanks, Paul.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

These are windscreen washer pipe connectors, theres thousands on ebay, but sellers tend to use generic images and not photos of the actual parts. But a good source for certain pots if you can find the one for you, and they come with a hole for the smoke!!
P1970132 (2).JPG
P1970132 (2).JPG (97.54 KiB) Viewed 5400 times