Ironwork from Caledonian Hotel, Edinburgh

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
lindsay_g

Ironwork from Caledonian Hotel, Edinburgh

Post by lindsay_g » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:45 pm

This might turn out to be a complete red herring!

I'm pursuing the possible existence of a cast iron window railing from Princess St Caley Hotel. I'm told it has a lion as part of the artwork (but the tongue is long gone). I seem to remember someone had or bought then refurbished one of these (with flower motifs?). Might anyone know what an asking price might be in the region of? Also, what might the scrap value be of the iron alone? (I realise the latter question especially is like the length of a proverbial bit of string and dependent on size, but any ideas might do for possible future arguments sake).

Cheers,

Lindsay

dunalastairv

Re: Ironwork from Caledonian Hotel, Edinburgh

Post by dunalastairv » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Dear Lindsay,

See my article about these on pages 50 and 51 of TTL No. 141 - July 2018. The lion-rampant and crown examples are rarer than the full-blown C.R. thistle casting - I had to pay over £500 for mine, and the thistle one wasn't much less. The important thing though is to obtain undamaged examples - many lost bits in situ or as they were taken off, which reduces the value. Scrap price is negligible - the lion rampant weighs about 60 lbs., the C.R. thistle type around 130 lbs. The total scrap value of a pair is probably no more than £10 to £15. Hope this helps.

Michael.