Another burning question

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
WCML55.68

Another burning question

Post by WCML55.68 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Afternoon,

The actual Harthope CR Dwelling House currently under construction was demolished sometime between 1957 and 1960. No full photos have come to light, only part photos. Much research and photography has been undertaken regarding the other CR ones as well as the L&C ones. Theres only one thing for sure, they were all slightly different as regards style, measurements, layout and build materials. So what is being built is again down to using all the jigsaw pieces from photos and much educated calculation to make the bigger picture.

One thing has come to light though, I am tempted to use a little modellers licence as complete accuracy would look faintly ridiculous, some advice and opinions please.

One much enhanced shot seems to show that Coped Gable Ends of the main part of the house differ considerably in height. My thinking is that it was either built like this, perhaps due to prevailing wind???? or may have been modified sometime in its existence.

Many thanks.
200AAA edit.jpg
200AAA edit.jpg (91.42 KiB) Viewed 347 times

jimwatt2mm

Re: Another burning question

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm

The right hand end clearly has two copes very close to on another. Was there perhaps some sort of extension or modification built at that end and the cope was not built as high as before? Having said that, I can't think why they would build such a short extension.

Jim W

WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:54 pm

The two copes on the right are the same distance apart as the two on the left, but because the outer one is further back, it creates the illusion that they are closer together. One of the reasons why photographs cannot be totally relied upon!! The "extension" is the hallway and stairwell. Have a look at Caledonian Dwelling House piccies Jim.
Last edited by WCML55.68 on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:58 pm

WCML55.68 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:54 pm
The two copes on the right are the same distance apart as the two on the left, but because the outer one is further back, it creates the illusion that the arfe closer together. One of the reasons why photographs cannot be totally relied upon!! The "extension" is the hallway and stairwell. Have a look at Caledonian Dwelling House piccies Jim.
Ah! i get it now. never had reason to study CR dwelling house piccies, I'm afraid!

Jim W