Westinghouse Pumps

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
JimG

Westinghouse Pumps

Post by JimG »

I'm looking ahead to having to fit a Westinghouse pump to S scale locomotives and I've been digging around for details of the pump. I've just found out that a fellow member of the S Scale Society is making a lost wax brass sprue of pump parts for GER models and he has modelled a 6" pump. But looking at the picture he has sent me, it looks a bit slimmer than those on Caledonian locomotives. I managed to find a 1913 manual on Westinghouse pumps and it appears that they supplied 8", 9½" and 11" versions and it looks as though their 8" version might be what the Caledonian used - is this correct? Did the Caledonian use any other size?

Were the pumps manufactured in the US and imported or were they manufactured under license in the UK?

Also, is there any information on what modifications might have been made to convert a pump into a boiler feedpump, as used on the McIntosh condensing Jumbos?

The PDF of the manual is too large to attach so here's the URL to view or download :-

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 8/mode/1up

Jim G.
Last edited by JimG on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan K

Re: Westinghouse Pumps

Post by Alan K »

Hi Jim

The Naysmith Wilson GA for the 439 Class which is Fig 11.13 in the new Campbell Cornwell book shows the Westinghouse pump labelled as '8 x 8 1/2" Type F'.

Alan
JimG

Post by JimG »

Alan,
Alan K wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:19 pm
The Naysmith Wilson GA for the 439 Class which is Fig 11.13 in the new Campbell Cornwell book shows the Westinghouse pump labelled as '8 x 8 1/2" Type F'.
Well spotted, that man. :) I had read the Pickersgill chapters but hadn't really looked closely at the LMS Class 439 drawing, being more interested in the original version. There's actually quite a good outline of the pump in that drawing so it will be a help in drawing up one to my scale. The information in the pump manual I mentioned above will add to that information.

I also saw a picture recently of the cast bracket onto which the pump was bolted but I damned if I can remember where. It could have been in the new book since that's what I've been reading for the past week or so..

Jim G.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Jim it's Plate 2.3 on p 31!
There's also a photo which Jim Mac posted at the very end of my 'Scratch building an 0-4-2ST ' thread.

Alan
JimG

Post by JimG »

Alan K wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:50 pm
it's Plate 2.3 on p 31!
That's the one. :)

I'll go chasing the Jim Mac one as well.

Jim G.
JimG

Post by JimG »

My fellow S Scale Society member has shown me the drawing that he worked from. It is obtainable from the GER Society and shows the 6" and the 8" versions. I don't want to post it here in case it breaks copyright but PM me if you want t look at it.

Jim G.