Building Ideas Requested

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Gympie

Building Ideas Requested

Post by Gympie »

I'm looking for some ideas for buildings that are noticeably Caledonian. I am interested in building the Kirriemuir station as that design appears to be used elsewhere. I'd like a Caldeonian engine shed and Caledonian signal box. Reading Niall Ferguson's Arbroath & Forfar Railway book page 190 has a photo of the Forfar North Junction signal box - it looks worth modelling. If there are any Caledonian goods sheds I'd be interested in that also.

My starting point for the layout is a Freezer suggestion for small locations SP57 (p30) and SP46 (p25) for a country terminus. I'm looking for some ideas for Caledonian station design for SP57.

Other than the Ferguson book mentioned previously, I also have a copy of Hugh Gibbs essay on the Kirriemuir line.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Gympie.
John Duffy

Re: Building Ideas Requested

Post by John Duffy »

This is Forfar Goods shed -https://flic.kr/p/QEnizT

Well worth modelling.

John
Gympie

Post by Gympie »

Thanks John,

It certainly has some character,

Gympie.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

There are plenty signal boxes illustrated in Jim Summers' excellent book on signalling. Along with some drawings.

Jim W
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

I have a drawing sheet of Kirriemuir station (a standard Caledonian design) which shows all but the rear elevation (however this can be deduced from the plan). I also have two incomplete copies of a drawing of Kirriemuir goods shed.

I don't have a drawing of Forfar North box, but do have drawings of various other CR boxes which could be used to create an accurate CR box on your model.

I can send scans of these drawings to you by email if you send me a PM.

John
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Hi

A few years ago Bachmann produced a very nice cast resin model of a Caledonian Northern Division signal box. I think it was based on Kirriemuir Junction.

It is very close in size and style to the box at Blairgowrie and mine has graced my Blairgowrie ever since. It is so good that I would not consider trying to scratch build a signal box if it is suitable for your location and you can get hold of one. I took mine out of the box, set it down in the place I had already prepared for the scratch built model I was expecting to make, and it has not moved since. I really couldn't do better myself.

The CRA had some pre-production samples and I got mine from Alec Inglis who was the CRA sales person at the time. I am not sure how many were made and if it is still available. Moulds for resin casting have limited life and I would guess 50-60 would be the maximum quantity from one mould.

I might be worth trying to get one on eBay if nobody in the CRA has a spare.

Tony B
Gympie

Post by Gympie »

Thanks for your replies, you have given me some ideas to work on,

Gympie.
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Have you had a look at the photos in the Scottish Line Societies archive, which you can access as a CRA member? There is a nice shot of Kirrie goods shed (CRA18785) which is a wooden execution of the Forfar goods shed design, minus the end office extension and with a shorter middle section. Or if you want a really minimum-space version of the same thing, look at the photo of Justinhaugh in the archive (CRA19306). I imagine these designs all came from the Perth engineer's office.

Regards
Graham
Gympie

Post by Gympie »

Thanks Graham,
I wanted to get access to the photo archive but wasn't sure how to go about it. Also, I don't live in Scotland and that may also be a problem,
Gympie.
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Gympie,

Details of how to access the photo archive are available in this post - in short e-mail me directly via [email protected] and we can arrange your access.

Sinclair
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Here are some drawings you might find useful. The Northern signalboxes and the Southern signalboxes are completely different. I was disappointed with the Bachmann model and have replaced mine with laser etched ones (in latest True Line). I have also done some panels to modify the Kibri brick built box. You might be able to use the walkway and roof brackets which I got York Models to produce for me - I'm sure if you ask them they'll run some off for you. I've got a couple of the Bachmann boxes spare if you do want one.
Attachments
Drawings 2.jpg
Drawings 2.jpg (66.77 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Drawings 3.jpg
Drawings 3.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Drawings 1.jpg
Drawings 1.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Drawings 4.jpg
Drawings 4.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Gympie

Post by Gympie »

Many thanks to those who got back to me with ideas and some drawings. I have done a mock up of the Comrie signal box. I am interested also in doing a mock up of the goods shed but I would appreciate more in the dimensions. I am attaching some pics of how I went about this.
First I up-scaled the drawings to give 4mm/ft. On my printer I increased the scale about 140%
I then pasted the drawings onto a styrene sheet and cut them out with a scalpel.

Sig Box Plans.jpg
Sig Box Plans.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 296 times
That was the easy bit.
Using the platform under the windows as an integral part in the construction and not an add-on made putting it together a bit easier. I made a platform with tabs on it, and cut slits in the front and side walls. I then hung the these three walls on the tabs and then slide a floor up under the tabs. The pic looking from the top with the black dots is the tabs and the platform. The piece under the tabs also has two tabs on it for the back wall. The next bit was to glue the walls together.
Sig Box 1.jpg
Sig Box 1.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 296 times
I added three pieces to help with the roof line and also hold the walls in line . . . well sort of.
Sig Box 2.jpg
Sig Box 2.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Sig Box 3.jpg
Sig Box 3.jpg (61.85 KiB) Viewed 296 times
After the roof went on, I pit a bit of paint to give it some definition.
Sig Box 5.jpg
Sig Box 5.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 296 times
I have since bought the book on signalling and there are some good ideas there for building signal boxes.When I build one with more detail I'll let you know.

Gympie