A mystery bridge

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Jim Summers

A mystery bridge

Post by Jim Summers »

This might be a challenge to pass some time.
It shows a bridge being demolished, and we can assume it is related to the days of the Glasgow suburban electrifications. But where?

Having decided to offer it for comment, I then discovered the official description, so the answer is known. However I thought I would still publish it as some of you enjoy the thrill of the chase.

JimS
Mystery bridge demolition redced .jpg
Mystery bridge demolition redced .jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 480 times
John Paton

Re: A mystery bridge

Post by John Paton »

Jim,

It is the bowstring bridge that carried the CR Glasgow eastern circular line over the ex-NB line between High Street and the former Parkhead station. It survived into the 1970s - which I guess is the era in which the photo was taken (looking at the cars). See uploaded map.

John
Attachments
Parkhead 1935 OS.jpg
Parkhead 1935 OS.jpg (127.24 KiB) Viewed 474 times
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

PS the photo is looking northwards.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Is it in the vicinity of Parkhead with the squat, square building behind the tracks being Joanna Dee’s nightclub on Duke Street? (written before John's post)
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

CaleyJim - I presume that you were familiar with that nightclub?
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

:lol: Apart from driving past it fairly frequently, no. I was not around Glasgow at an age such might have been of interest and was never in it (think it's derelict now - haven't been that way for a while)
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Yes, correctly identified and in in record speed.

The description on the photo which emanated from the BRB (don't ask) has no date, but says:
"Removal of 'Spion Kop' Bridge (CR Rutherglen to Blochairn Line, Closed 1964) between Camlachie and Parkhead".

I never saw it in real life. It must have shaken a bit with some of the heavy trains on that route.

JImS
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I used to see it from the bus on my way to Dental School in the latter half of the '60's if I got a 'via Shettleston' bus from my home in Bargeddie.

Jim W
Keith Fenwick

Post by Keith Fenwick »

A telescopic crane is in use to demolish the bridge. Not sure when they came into use but they are relatively modern. So 1980s or even 1990s.

The line was traversed by a number of railtours in the 1960s. I travelled over it behind CR123 and NBR256 on the way to Oban in 1962.

Keith F
duncan

Post by duncan »

Also looks like a mk4 Cortina (1976>), a mk 1 ? Fiesta (1976>), a mk 2 Transit (1977 >) & possibly a Marina van (1972>)

Duncan