Basket on turntable

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Alisdair

Basket on turntable

Post by Alisdair »

There is a photo of Black Five LMSR5014 on the turntable at Balornock (FSLS entry CRA18544). There is what appears to be a basket of bricks hanging from a wee cantilever bracket on the turntable on its midpoint (extract from photo attached).
Plant_01_011extract.jpg
Plant_01_011extract.jpg (75.42 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
What would have been it's purpose?
Alisdair
lms14509

Re: Basket on turntable

Post by lms14509 »

Looks more like a Firedevil loded with coal?
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

My thought too, but what is it there to defrost ?
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Could it be that the 'table itself wasn't quite balanced laterally and this was to try to correct that? Either that or it could be a fire devil to use to prevent the pivot freezing?

Jim W
jasp

Post by jasp »

I am not sure if freezing of the pivot bearing would inhibit turntable rotation, look at the turning moment plus, no doubt, lots of grease.
Nor do I think that a brazier would thaw same - heat rises.
Jim P
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

My thoughts initially were that it was to assist lateral balancing, but the small moment imparted by the weight of the basket and its contents (whatever it is) would be very small given the loads on the table.
Alisdair
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

The bracket was obviously designed to be there for a reason.
If not for a basket of coal, I wonder for what?

JimS
Bill_Gensheet

Post by Bill_Gensheet »

Maybe a lamp so that the driver would know where the turntable centre was at night to stop in the right place ?

then someone then broke the lamp and replaced it with something that could be 'lit' or just something brighter :D
Angus McIntosh

Post by Angus McIntosh »

For those with access to 'LMS Engine Sheds Vol 5, The Caledonian Railway' check out page 29 which shows the Ballornock - St Rollox turntable with a similar bracket and fire brazier (part view).

Angus
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Could it simply be a “litter bin” to provide a convenient place to gather lumps of coal which fell off full tenders onto the ‘table deck when engines halted (trip hazards in the dark are nothing new) or into the well? If every loco being turned lost a lump or two, it would soon get mucky and would need dealt with. When full a couple of men with a barrow could empty it and the workplace would be kept tidy.

On the other hand, maybe it was the practice to turn locos at the end of a shift, when tenders were empty ...

Regards
Graham
Short Road Pilot

Post by Short Road Pilot »

How interesting. More years ago than I care to remember I had the dubious privilege, during a shed visit to Balornock, of meeting this turntable complete with Black Five on it! The crew were having difficulty in turning the loco and the driver asked a couple of us to 'len's a haun' to get the engine turned as it was getting away from them. This was due to the Balornock turntable being a bit unbalanced so when turning a loco it was vital not to overshoot and miss getting the locking bar in place or you had to go round again! Enough of us manage to slow its progress to enable the table to be lined up and locked in place and the Black Five duly proceeded to Balornock shed. I am not sure if the turntable was purely a mechanical job or if it was worked off the vacuum but it certainly was 'unbalanced' and that may very well be the reason for the firedevil with the lumps of rock, or whatever to redress the balance.

GJAT.
Orraman

Post by Orraman »

There is a picture of a similar arrangement in The Last Days of Scottish Steam, pages 46/47 where BR60529 Pearl Diver is on the turntable at Haymarket shed.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Aberdeen Ferryhill's 1907 Ransome and Rapier turntable had a brazier also. When I worked at the shed for a period in the early 1980's, I asked our plant man why this was. (The TT at Ferryhill was kept operational after steam finished in order to turn the coaches which formed the 15.30 West Coast Postal).
He responded that the main bearing was prone to freezing up in cold weather, thus rendering the TT inoperable, and the residual heat provided by burning coal in the brazier prevented this. I attach photos of the last steam loco to be turned on the table in normal BR service (courtesy of Keith Jones) together with a picture of the main bearing during overhaul by the Ferryhill Trust.
70023 at Ferryhill 1 - 22 May 67 - Keith Jones.jpg
70023 at Ferryhill 1 - 22 May 67 - Keith Jones.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 702 times
FERRYHILL TURNTABLE PHASE 1 INSTALLATION 8.2.18 (3).jpg
FERRYHILL TURNTABLE PHASE 1 INSTALLATION 8.2.18 (3).jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 702 times
FERRYHILL TT COMES HOME (8).jpg
FERRYHILL TT COMES HOME (8).jpg (97.12 KiB) Viewed 702 times