Carmyllie Railway Additional Powers Act

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Niall Ferguson

Carmyllie Railway Additional Powers Act

Post by Niall Ferguson »

I bought some years ago a bound set of Deposited Plans and Sections for "Railway No.13" The Carmyllie Branch - part of a Caledonian Railway Additional Powers Act Unfortunately the Plans are not dated, but at Elliot Junction they appear to show an intention to move the connection from a "double to single junction" to just a single connection closer Arbroath as shown below. Also, the island platform has not yet been constructed and the two staggered platforms are shown. That dates it to before September 1896 (when the new station was inspected) or even October 1895 (when the plans for the new station were submitted to the B of T). Can anyone help with the date of this Additional Powers Act?
Attachments
Deposited Plan 03 small.jpg
Deposited Plan 03 small.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Niall Ferguson

Re: Carmyllie Railway Additional Powers Act

Post by Niall Ferguson »

In addition, there appears to be no evidence of a waiting room on either platform (authorised in 1885) and only a single siding trailing on the Down line neither does there seem to be a second siding for the loading bank, which was authorised in 1880. So pre-1880 or thereabouts seems likely
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

I've now tracked down the date - 1874
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

That's all very interesting Niall and certainly whets the appetite for your forthcoming book!

Do you think the plan is really an intention to provide a single junction, or is it simply showing the centreline of the land corridor for which powers were being sought? I think these powers usually set out limits within which the line could be constructed rather than a precise line, so the plan would not necessarily show the final proposed layout.

By the way, I wonder if you saw the rather delightful shot of 46464 at the Kellie Den ground frame in 1959 which recently came up on eBay (and sold for a tidy sum). It captures the atmosphere of the branch nicely. It is interesting that the loco has the boiler facing Arbroath - you would have thought the driver would prefer to keep the firebox crown at the downhill end of the Kellie Den gradient. Perhaps he was only going to the Metal Box siding, if that was open by 1959.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MD8AAOSw ... s-l500.jpg

best regards
Graham Roberts