Another Unidentified D&A Location

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Niall Ferguson

Another Unidentified D&A Location

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Alan Brotchie has kindly supplied a number of super images for the book, but one or two have left me with problems regarding location. This one, I reckon, shows the southern end of Carnoustie Station looking out over Buddon Ness with what is now the Leisure Centre and Skateboard Park (but I would value confirmation). As for date, the locomotive seems to have a "Ferret & Dartboard" logo on the tender and the remains of the ant-tank defences which would date it to late 1940s-early 1950s. Why is the "34" so prominent on the cabside? Is it just a "photoshop" attempt or is there another reason? Confirmation/comments/thoughts welcomed.
Niall
Attachments
D&A 7060 small copy.jpg
D&A 7060 small copy.jpg (116.96 KiB) Viewed 674 times
dumb buffer

Re: Another Unidentified D&A Location

Post by dumb buffer »

If I mistake not this is the Carnoustie Tennis club pavilion, which became from about 1972 the Carnoustie Sailing Club clubhouse. The fenced off area became the dinghy park, which was convenient as it offered direct access to the beach. Buddon Ness in the background is unmistakable. I am puzzled by the large square building on the left, which I don't remember. (But memory, like the rest of me, is failing)

Allan Ferguson
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Niall,

Here is an extract from the 1964 1:2500 OS, on which I have added a red arrow to indicate the possible photo direction. The photo might have been taken from the gas holder!

John
Attachments
Carnoustie 1964.jpg
Carnoustie 1964.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

The gas holder is a great idea, I wondered how they got the height.
Niall
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

And the large building is the Beach Hall and everything else fits perfectly.
Thanks again
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Is the number on the engine related to its origins as a WD? The railway companies were rather forced to take them and the different pre-nationalisation companies had different approaches. This one could have come to BR via the LNER or the LMS. I would need to do a bit more research, but the answer could lie in that background.

JimS
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

If indeed taken in BR days, the number 34 is in the correct font and position to be the last 2 digits of a 900xx number. Seven possibilities, all but 90134 are ruled out because of allocation or topfeed although neither are guaranteed. 90134 was a Dunfermline/Glasgow engine all its BR days. Canny find any photos though.
Photos of the WDs are nearly always in deplorably filthy condition as this one is and a cleaner would occasionally wipe over the numbers on the cabside for legibility in the depot. Its possible that the cleaner has only wiped the last 2 digits as nothing else in depot coincided.
Homo Sapiens is in general a lazy character, even down to abbreviating names and 90134 is quite a mouthful, quite possible that the loco was referred to as 34 and the cleaner would only clean those numbers, no point in doing the rest .

P.
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

Regarding the 'edited' number'34' on the loco, There is a bit of film showing the first of Mr Bulleid's powerful but ugly Q1 class,33001 departing Baynards Station on the Guildford and Horsham direct. The number had been 'selectively cleaned' to show the original number 'C1' Old company loyalties die hard. I also have seen a photo of this loco which suggests that the number plate had also been pochled to show 'C1'

Jane J.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Re the WDs in later life, Ive stumbled over this interesting shot showing one that acquired the yellow diagonal cabstripe prohibiting use south of Crewe under electric overheads, the topfeed being the culprit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/24599253188/
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Looks like 90134 tops the possibilities, many thanks
Niall