Signal Tower Museum Images Appeal

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Niall Ferguson

Signal Tower Museum Images Appeal

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Many years ago, when writing my Arbroath & Forfar Ry volume, I visited the old Signal Tower Museum on the seafront in Arbroath and, as well as acquiring quite a few images, I got photocopies of the catalogue index sheets, some of which had contact prints of the images. Some years ago the Signal Tower collection was subsumed into Forfar archives and they scrapped the original indexing system and replaced it with their own (or rather didn't replace it, as they can't find some of the images I have requested!!). There are three in particular that I would like to use, and I wonder whether anyone on this forum might have copies they could scan for me? The Signal Tower Museum references (and descriptions) are:
Signal Tower Reference Subject
PA1987/2641 Elliot Junction with Train
PA1979/899 NBR Goods train at West Links Toll House
PA1979/2024 Derailed train at Wellgate 08/10/79
I have a photocopy of PA1987/2641 (as here - which seems to show an LMS era train bound for the Carmyllie branch at Elliot Junction) but not of either of the others. Here's hoping!
Niall
Attachments
PA1987-2641.jpg
PA1987-2641.jpg (137.1 KiB) Viewed 298 times
John Paton

Re: Signal Tower Museum Images Appeal

Post by John Paton »

Niall,
The only one I can help you with is the train at Elliot Junction, which is in fact from the August 1928 Railway Magazine. Looking at the poor quality of your version I suspect that it is a 'copy of a copy' from the RM.

Here is a photo I took of that page in the RM some years ago. This isn't helping you with photo quality!

Best wishes,

John
Attachments
Carmyllie train at Elliot Jc 2.jpg
Carmyllie train at Elliot Jc 2.jpg (85.87 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Carmyllie train at Elliot Jc 1.jpg
Carmyllie train at Elliot Jc 1.jpg (126.23 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Niall Ferguson

Re: Signal Tower Museum Images Appeal

Post by Niall Ferguson »

John
That would seem to be it. I have the RM archive at the moment, I'll see if I can get a better copy. Thanks
Niall