Beattock Station

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Roger

Beattock Station

Post by Roger »

Hi,
Does anyone have any plans or drawings of Beattock platforms and station buildings, loco shed etc.? I'm hoping to make a OO gauge model and need some basic information on platform lengths, widths and building dimensions. I have booked an appointment with National Records of cotland, but they are not at this time giving access to drawings and plans except for files available on their digital Virtual Volumes. I have requested access to Glasgow University archives to examine your listed archive CRA6 but don't know when I can expect to get access. So just taking a punt that someone out there may have some information on basic dimesnsions. Grateful thanks. Roger.
John Paton

Re: Beattock Station

Post by John Paton »

The drawings of the main stone building at Beattock are in "The True Line" Number 51, Autumn 1995.

John
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks John for that information, I'll buy the CD version of the back catalogue. It's just very frustrating not getting access to archives at the moment.
Bill_Gensheet

Post by Bill_Gensheet »

In case you have not yet found the 25"/mile 1899 map that is online from NLS :

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82874757

Track layout, platform lengths, building locations / shapes, signal posts.
Do note that these may have some timeframe inaccuracies as OS did not always re-survey railways.

Bill
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Roger,

"Modellers BackTrack" Vo. 3 No. 2 carried a six-page article by Alan Kirk.

If you are not familiar with Alan's work, his articles contain photos and detailed dimensioned drawings, including plan views. This article gives drawings of the station building, stationmaster's house, the cottages, goods shed, and store and office, as surveyed in 1972. Relevant close-up photos are included. There is also a track layout of the whole area. It doesn't cover the signalboxes, but there is information on them elsewhere.

I would suggest that you really ought to try to get an original copy if you can, as it is on high quality paper and a delight to have.
Contact me by Personal Message, if you are unsuccessful.

Jim
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Jim,
I got the CD for TTL back numbers and it's very interesting - a lot of information there. Reasonable plans and elevations of the station buildings at Beattock. I have a copy of the 1899 25 inch OS Plan of Beattock which I have used to get approximate dimensions of the Beattock site and platform lengths. I also have 3 copies of old Backtrack magazines but not the one you mention about the Alan Kirk article. That sounds very promising and I'll try and get a copy of that as soon as I can. Thank you very much for your help. As I think I said earlier I hope to access part of your archive at Glasgow University fairly soon, and I do have an appointment with National Records of Scotland on 10th November - but I don't expect to see what I'm looking for as their service is extremely restricted and they are not producing any drawings or plans at the moment unless they are digitised. Thanks again.
Roger
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Hello Roger

There are 142 photographs of Beattock station and its immediate environs in the Scottish Line Societies' archive.

Best

Mike
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that information on the photos - a site I'm not familiar with. From the other suggestions posted, I now have the CD's with the magazine backnumbers, I've got a copy of the Backtrack with Alan Kirk's drawings which are really good. All I'm missing are details of the platform lengths and layout, particualarly that area of the down platform at the north end between the overbridge and the platform end, and round about there. Also exactly where the turntable was in the 1920's - 1940's. I have 2 appointments booked for archives at Records of Scotland and Historic Environment Scotland (HES). Still waiting to hear from Glasgow University though.
Thanks again to all for your assistance to a novice railway modeller.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Hi Roger

There is a scaled (in chains!) map of Beattock Station and Engine Shed dated 1898 in LMS Engine Sheds Vol 5, which is the Caledonian Railway one. It includes the turntable and appears to extend well beyond the station limits in both directions. If you PM me with an e- mail address, I could send you a scan.....

Alan