Rail Chairs

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
jim mac

Rail Chairs

Post by jim mac »

Our colleagues in the Highland Railway Society have been discussing Rail Chairs on their forum and Howard Geddes has drawn their attention to the following links http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/1484/1/1484_v1.pdf and http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/1484/2/1484_v2.pdf which explore the business of Anderson Foundry owned by J C Bunten of Dunalastair. There are also a number of references to business with the Caledonian Railway
Dave John

Re: Rail Chairs

Post by Dave John »

Interesting study. Thanks for the post.
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

I would be interested to know the sleeping arrangements around the crossing unit, are their any further details on this subject?
I have a few more turnouts to build for the layout so could start building them to the correct sleeping arrangement.

Regards

David
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

As part of the exchange on the HRS Forum, Jim Summers quoted from his piece in TTL115 on Matheson's report on American practice. This generated a reply which included the attached NBR diagram, which originally had been supplied by Jim Watt. A general view by most respondents to the topic is that all the Scottish Coys had similar arrangements.
Interlacing.pdf
(636.43 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Attached is an image of the sleepering and chairing around the crossing vee of a Caley interlaced point. Apologies for the standard of reproduction - it's a scan from part of a tracing that I took from plans in the National Archives. The haphazard nature of the sleepers isn't down to poor tracing, that's just how they appeared on the Caley drawing.

Lindsay
Attachments
Interlaced Vee.jpg
Interlaced Vee.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 5152 times