Lamp Posts

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
smwamphray

Lamp Posts

Post by smwamphray »

Query to me from Dunblane Museum:

They have had a lamp post donated to them which is said to have come from Dunblane station and they would like to paint it in the colour it would have been painted in during the period just before WW1. The lamp post is currently painted black and they have scraped the paint away - under the black is green and under that is light blue.

Does anyone have information as to the colour in about 1912?
dunalastairv

Re: Lamp Posts

Post by dunalastairv »

Your query about the lamp post at Dunblane is timely! It was stated that Caledonian platform lamp cases were painted blue in a previous T.T.L., and this information came from British Railways archivists themselves. I have recently been working on a typical platform lamp case, stamped "Caledonian", where the L.M.S. brown paint has flaked off to reveal a very distinct blue colour, in remarkably bright condition. This is on the bracket at the back, where the lamp was fixed on a special casting, and so was fairly free from bleaching by the sun. The condition of this lamp seems to indicate that it was either in a sheltered position or actually under cover beneath, say, a platform awning. The colour is quite distinct and can be matched pretty accurately to Dulux number 6030 R90B. I have also found this same blue on two handlamps; a plated C.R. one - from Dunblane coincidentally! - and a very early L.M.S. example marked Carnwath. I would suggest Dunblane Museum try this tint, which will probably be darker than the colour they've found on their post, but only because of the bleaching effect of the sunlight on the platform.

Michael Dunn.
smwamphray

Post by smwamphray »

Thanks Michael, I'll pass the colour info on to the Museum

Fred
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Michael had difficulty uploading the photograph, probably as it was too large a file; a reminder to all members is that images for the Forum should be 800 pixels wide and 72dpi resolution. Here it is
C.R. platform lamp blue 003.JPG
C.R. platform lamp blue 003.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
jim mac
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

I can't give a fully detailed answer tonight, but the colour schemes used on station lighting was much more complicated than suggested. Having used the Jim Mac's Loco Livery technique of sifting through hundreds of photographs rather than relying on what I "know".
There seem to be about 4 different paint schemes in use between 1880 and 1920, and whilst not all stations received each version, taking Dunblane as an example, evidence shows at least 3 colour schemes in use here. I think there were 2 post castings in use at Dunblane, the original Scottish Central Design mostly on the Up platform, and a later Caledonian or trade standard casting.
I can't put dates on the various colour schemes but the chronological order is this:
1] Lampost castings and timber posts for oil lamps were ducks foot with the metal lantern frame sometimes picked out in purple brown or possibly blue. (see Dunblane 1)
Dunblane 1.jpg
Dunblane 1.jpg (61.23 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
2] Both post and lantern frame blue. new contracts from c.1886 to around 1896 were finished this way -L&A Western end. (Dunblane 2)
Dunblane 2.jpg
Dunblane 2.jpg (170.14 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
3] Post cast or timber in white with the lantern frame in blue, from 1896 onwards, most of the Lanarkshire New Lines were finished in this way.
4] From around 1902 some stations had the bottom 30" picked out in purple brown, this varied depending on the casting but was also applied to plain timber posts for oil lamps(Wemyss Bay is an example of this style, and it had found it's way to Dunblane by around 1910 -see Dunblane 4. I haven't found evidence of style 3 at Dunblane though in the 1900 to 1914 period it was the most common.The remainder of the post would be white and the lantern frame still blue.
Dunblane 4.jpg
Dunblane 4.jpg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
This is of course pretty generalised, and there are many exceptions, but Dunblane does appear to fit the general pattern. In other locations where several photos exist the progression is often visible (conversly it can be used to give a rough dating in the absense of any womens fashion.
One point for modellers if using standard 4 sided lanterns these were always set parallel to the platform edge in Caledonian days, in LMS and BR days these were often changed to 45 degrees.

Dave L