Bankfoot

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Loch Awe

Bankfoot

Post by Loch Awe »

Hi Would any kind souls out there have any drawings or photos of track layout at Bankfoot. I have several diagrams for Strathord, but nothing for Bankfoot itself.

kind regards.

LA
jasp

Re: Bankfoot

Post by jasp »

The Highland Railway Society have a book "The Perth and Dunkeld Railway" which may have some info on Bankfoot.
The Society is attending the Perth show at the end of June.
I am happy to have a look if you are unable to attend. Alternatively, you could contact the Highland Society who might be able to help

Jim P
Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe »

Ok Jim will give that a go.

regards

LA
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Robert,
I can post some photos later today (that really means much later in my case). Bankfoot was one of those "ghost" stations which was never covered in large scale OS sheets, having opened and closed between revision dates, I'll check to see if a rating plan was prepared in 1923 for the handover, but the track plan is easy to work out from the half dozen photos that exist.

Dave L
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

There are a number of photographs of the station and goods shed in the usual books. There is also a photograph of the loco shed in "LMS Engine Sheds -- Vol 5". The track plan was fairly simple and can be largely deduced from the photographs. There has been a sketch of the track plan published somewhere -- but I'm dashed if I can remember where.
Bankfoot-70254.jpg
Bankfoot-70254.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 28963 times
There are a number of photographs in the CRA collection, but they are nearly all from the bufferstops, and none really shows the station throat.

Allan F
Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe »

Many thanks Dave I look forward to whatever you can find! That is useful information re maps as it saves me doing further searching in that direction.

Allan F - makes thanks for that picture. Was it just a one lever GF?

kind regards,

Robert
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

According to the 1915 Appendix "The Light Railway is worked in one section by Train Staff only......."
"The small frames --- 2 at Strathord and 2 at Bankfoot are controlled by the Train Staff........"
So no signals, no signalbox. The visible lever frame has 2 levers.

Allan F
Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe »

Excellent. Many thanks again Allan

Robert
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Robert,
The first photo looking North towards the buffer stops is the best one for an overall impression of the track layout. From left to right is the timber station building and platform track, the loop and the goods shed road all running parallel. then comes the triangular shaped yard with scotch derrick and weighbridge hut, then a single long siding with a sleeper faced loading bank with cattle pen and a short end loading siding, not visible, a single siding trails off the end of the loop with a water tower and short timber engine shed. I have never seen drawings for any of the structures, and there are none listed in the CRA Archive or the NAS.
BANKFOOT 1a.jpg
BANKFOOT 1a.jpg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 28923 times
Looking from behind the buffers,soon after opening, the lever frame controlling the crossover is slightly clearer here.
BANKFOOT 3a.jpg
BANKFOOT 3a.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 28923 times
Dave L
Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe »

These are excellent indeed....many thanks Dave. I think I'll have a go at drawing up the layout...would it be ok to send you a draft in due course?

kind regards,

Robert
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Robert,
Yes that will be great. Looking at the second picture you can just make out the water tower to the left of the plume of steam, but the loco shed is either hidden or possibly still under construction.
Bankfoot Shed.jpg
Bankfoot Shed.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 28871 times
This is the only picture I have seen of the engine shed, but it fills in that gap of the arrangement at this end, and here is the best known (from a commercial postcard) view of the station again taken shortly after opening.
BANKFOOT 5a.jpg
BANKFOOT 5a.jpg (134.46 KiB) Viewed 28871 times
The station building was still in existence as the reception for a caravan park until 10 years ago at least, a check on google maps should confirm if it still exists, there are also some John Hume post closure pics on the CAMS website.
BANKFOOT6.jpg
BANKFOOT6.jpg (101.87 KiB) Viewed 28871 times
The final picture is an enlargement of a postcard showing Bankfoots War Memorial Cairn with the partially hidden station below the hill. Hope this helps

Dave L
Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe »

Hi Dave, You are a font of knowledge. Excellent stuff again. I'll see about doing a drawing soon.

All the best,

Robert
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the July 2010 issue of Backtrack, it contains an article on the Bankfoot line?

David
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Copy of the article:
Bankfoot Railway, Backtrack 2010.pdf
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 961 times
jim mac
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Jim

Thank you for the article, that answers the question about the track layout and a few other things.

David
David Elvy

Bankfoot Goods Shed

Post by David Elvy »

I appreciate I am going off at a tangent but, searching the web and looking at the Dornoch goods shed on the Highland I have established they were built by the same contractor as the one at Bankfoot, could the reason for the differences between the known CR designs for goods sheds and the one at Bankfoot be that the railway wasn't built by the CR and the Bankfoot Light Railway contractor came from Inverness?

http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/p ... ber460.asp take away the back canopy, the side windows and air vent at the rear and front ends their are quite a few similarities, enough for me to think the CR and HR designs could have come from the same drawing board.

Am I grasping at straws or could their be something in my reasoning?

Thanks David
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Hello David,

I don't have a decent track plan or any better photos of the buildings than those which have been posted, but here is a small track plan from the LMS route diagrams of the 1930s.

Best regards,

John
Attachments
Bankfoot.jpeg
Bankfoot.jpeg (125.42 KiB) Viewed 26371 times
emckeng

Post by emckeng »

Re construction of the Bankfoot Light Railway. Speculation is good but evidence is better. The railway was constructed by Roderick Fraser an Inverness based contractor.

Hope this helps.

Ed. McKenna
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Ed

Couldn't agree with you more.

Roderick Fraser was responsible for both the Bankfoot Light Railway and completing construction of the Dornoch Branch, this is recorded in history.

The Bankfoot and Dornoch goods shed from what I can gather are neither of Caledonian Railway nor Highland Railway design, from information I can confirm.

I have searched a number of the Scottish newspapers and haven't found any evidence to suggest Roderick Fraser was responsible for the construction of any other branch lines, although he did undertake other railway works throughout Scotland.

I have tried and failed to find any drawings of the structures at either Bankfoot or Dornoch.

I have evidence of the date when Roderick Fraser auctioned off the loco he purchased for the construction of the Bankfoot Branch.

I have been amazed at the information I have found in my search but disappointed at not finding the things I went searching for.

If anyone has any thoughts on where information for either could be I would appreciate the heads up.

Thanks David
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hi LA

There is a 1958 Bankfoot shot in Steam in Scotland Vol 1, the one with the tartan cover, page 117 WJV Anderson. It shows the goods shed and the overlooking Bankfoot Church which very sadly burnt down in 2004. Somewhere, Ive seen a shot taken from this high vantage point looking the other way, early 1960s, of a railtour, 5 BR mark 1s including a buffet, hauled by (one of) the last CR 0-6-0T locos. I will have to dig for this one.

Regards Paul.
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

I don't suppose anyone on here happened to be on one of the railtours and happen to take any photos?

Thanks David
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hi David, Unable to PM at the mo, I will see if I can get your info to you another way. Over Easter ABW. Regards Paul.
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Loch Awe wrote:Ok Jim will give that a go.

regards

LA
Did you manage to find any wee snippets of information since your last posting?

A friend has helped draw up the track plan to suite my preferred baseboard dimensions and I should start making sawdust in October.

David
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

my track plan for Bankfoot should be attached, Bill Campbell very kindly drew this up for me using templot for which I am exceedingly grateful.

It has required some east/west compression to the yard but I think its about as good as it can be for the space available, for those familiar with Bankfoot you'll note we have managed to include the odd looking track alignment in front of the loop turnout opposite the goods shed, this is quite prominent in the photos and important to capture in the track plan.

Guess what I'll be doing for the next two years, or so.

David
Attachments
bankfoot_2017_08_07 crop resize.png
bankfoot_2017_08_07 crop resize.png (91.01 KiB) Viewed 24371 times