Bankfoot

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
jasp

Re: Bankfoot

Post by jasp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

Look forward to seeing progress
Jim P

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 am

Grasping at straws a wee bit, would we happen to have anyone on this forum or any one who might know someone who was on the 1950s or 1960s rail tours that included a visit to the Bankfoot Branch.

I have a copy of the Caledonian Routes DVD which features the line and has some very useful images but I still don't have a good view showing the back of the station building or the rear of the goods shed, a view the loco shed would be useful but I doubt I'll have any luck with the item on the wish list, any information how ever obvious would be appreciated, thanks.

David

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:27 pm

I would suggest the Photograph Archive of the CRA held at Thurso Street, Glasgow University.
The CR Engine Sheds List has "Bankfoot 7" dated 1936 and has the Engine Shed and Water Tower including the Loading Gauge.

Regarding Bankfoot Station the Tindall Collection held within the CRA Photograph of Stations I think, but could be a separate collection.
According to my old records they were Listed as:-
T49 Bankfoot Station and Goods Shed
T549 Bankfoot Station
T550 Bankfoot Station
T551 Bankfoot Station
T552 Goods Shed

These photographs were taken after closure but the ones of the Station are taken from different angles including the one you are looking for, from the other side, i.e. the rear.

I hope these photos are available and not restricted in some way.

David Blevins.

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 pm

David

Thank you for your help, any advice on who I should contact to gain access to both collection's, thanks?

David

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 am

David
The CRA Archive at Thurso St. is open to all, but visits should be booked via the University, details on the CRA website.

Donald Peddie as photo archivist is the CRA contact, should you need additional help, contact details on page 3 of TTL.

jim mac

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 am

Jim

Thank you for the advice, I have have asked one of our colleagues to help with the access to the rust and dropped a line to Donald, thanks.

I have also been in touch with a friend in the RAF, I don't think they would have had much interest in the Bankfoot area but our cousins from across the water definitely had an interest in the Perth area during WW2 and while I could be clutching at straws(so to speak) their might just be something of interest in the corner of a picture not available to us not in the military.

David

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi David, Interesting. Here's a dwg I knocked up a while back. Any comments that might improve accuracy welcome.

kind regards,

Robert
Attachments
Bankfoot [M1-u.d.].pdf
(88.7 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

emckeng

Post by emckeng » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 pm

David,

RCAHMS in Edinburgh has a large collection of aerial photographs including those taken by RAF, Luftwaffe, Ordnance Survey etc. It may be worth contacting them at https://www.historicenvironment.scot

Ed. McKenna

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:54 am

Loch Awe wrote:Hi David, Interesting. Here's a dwg I knocked up a while back. Any comments that might improve accuracy welcome.

kind regards,

Robert
Robert

This is in no way intended as a critical review of you plan.

At the north end of the station building it appears you have shown steps leading somewhere, I haven't seen any evidence of this, what have you based this on?

From the photos I have seen the loading bank extended further north, it did blend in quite nicely with the surrounding topography.

The one thing that really interests me is where you have located the station approach ground frame, do you have anything that supports where you have located the frame, this small detail would be nice to get right in the model?

Thanks David
Last edited by David Elvy on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi David,

I did this a while back so memory hazy, but I pretty sure steps from a photo, which I'll look for.

If you can maybe do a sketch I can certainly alter Loading Back.

Re Approach GF, this, as I recall ,was purely speculative sadly, based on position of points. As I say its a draft and happy to alter with whatever details come to light :-)

kind regards,

Robert

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 am

Robert

I know there was a rear entrance to the station building and I am fairly confident the station building was all on one level hence asking about the steps, a distance of about half the building width away from the station building the ground did fall away towards the main road but I haven't seen any photos suggesting there were steps, if you do have anything I would be interested to get a glimps.

Regarding the loading bank, I believe this went the full length of the yard, the photos on page one of this thread would suggest it did and the DVD Caledonian Routes gives a brief glimpse suggesting it did, from photos and video I have watched I believe the yard access past behind the buffers of the goods shed on a grade leading down to the yard, the access track split about 2/3 of the way between the goods shed and the loading bank with one leg dropping down in to the yard and the other leading directly on to the loading bank. I suspect, but have no proof, that the access track continued on past the loading bank in to a field, but this is speculation on my part.

I haven't seen any images which would support the ground frame being on the engine shed side of the railway, I have one image which shows it could have been at the end of the points on the opposite side from the loco shed but it isn't very clear and I have tried to interpret the route of the point ridding, again if you have something that gives us a better idea of where it was located I would be interested to see what you have.

As with so many things it's finding the evidence that's the difficulty, their are books which have used the same images and I have two videos which I suspect have used film from the same person on the same excursion, this makes finding new information a challenge.

Thanks David

Ian Smeeton

Post by Ian Smeeton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Hunting through the Transport Treasury lists for somethin else, the following Photos may be of use.

111/00 Bankfoot station & church 13/1/62
111/01 61246 at Bankfoot station
111/02 61246 at Bankfoot, church behind
111/03 Bankfoot station
111/04 61246 on freight near Bankfoot
111/05 61246 ready to leave Bankfoot
111/06 Front view of 61246 & loading gauge
111/07 61246 ready to leave Bankfoot

Thaey are in the 'Norris Forrest' Collection. Link Here: http://www.transporttreasury.co.uk/page88.html

I have found that, if asked, Barry will put the pictures up in his digital galleries within a couple of days, from which, prints can be ordered.

regards
Ian

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi David,

As I sad the GF position was pure guesswork. I now cannot find a photo showing steps so unsure why I put them there. I will remove and also look at changing Loading Bank and will post revised draft for comment.

kind regards,

Robert

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:37 pm

Robert

This photo is about the best I have been able to find showing the approach to Bankfoot station, its by no means conclusive but I don't think the ground frame is on the right hand side, however it also doesn't conclusively show the ground frame on the left, the photo isn't clear enough to make that statement.

I don't know if others might be able to comment on the possible location of the ground frame or what to interpret from the photo?

David
Bankfoot Approach 2b.jpg
Bankfoot Station Throat
Bankfoot Approach 2b.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 20748 times

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Ian Smeeton wrote:Hunting through the Transport Treasury lists for somethin else, the following Photos may be of use.

111/00 Bankfoot station & church 13/1/62
111/01 61246 at Bankfoot station
111/02 61246 at Bankfoot, church behind
111/03 Bankfoot station
111/04 61246 on freight near Bankfoot
111/05 61246 ready to leave Bankfoot
111/06 Front view of 61246 & loading gauge
111/07 61246 ready to leave Bankfoot

Thaey are in the 'Norris Forrest' Collection. Link Here: http://www.transporttreasury.co.uk/page88.html

I have found that, if asked, Barry will put the pictures up in his digital galleries within a couple of days, from which, prints can be ordered.

regards
Ian

Ian

Thanks for the information, I haven't come across this source before. Request has been emailed, here's hoping he has some I haven't seen before and maybe even one or two to confirm where the station entrance ground frame was located.

David

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Bankfoot Goodshed

Assuming roof rafters sat on wall posts, what interval would a roof rafter be placed on a side wall vertical post?

I have estimated the wall posts to be at 3ft centres.

David

David Elvy

Bankfoot

Post by David Elvy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Thank you to someone who wishes to remain anonymous; he has provide me with some useful information about roof truss design around the turn of the century which suggests the roof trusses were most likely less than 3', having assumed the planking to be 6" wide I am now assuming the verticals to be at 2' 6" centres, thanks.
This now allows me to draw up the goods shed and start construction.

I have discovered another photo http://brailway.livejournal.com/454.html of the station approach I haven't seen before, unfortunately while it is a nice photo of a 782 Class chassis and the crossing gates it hasn't helped with confirming the location of the ground frame I was hoping for.

The next structure I would like to try and confirm details for is the station, I have reliable photos of the front and rear of the building which allow me to make a reasonable assumption as to where the waiting room and ticket office were, however I haven't been able to make what for me would be a good assumption of the type and size of each of the rooms or to confirm what could be behind each of the windows.
I spent most of today trawling through the old TTL's and the forum but I am none the wiser.

Any suggestions appreciated?

David

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Robert

A crop from a larger photo which shows an absence of the ground frame on the loco shed side of the line.

David
Attachments
Bankfoot Throat Looking South.jpg
Bankfoot Throat Looking South.jpg (150.76 KiB) Viewed 20505 times

Graham R

Post by Graham R » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:26 am

Hi David,

I see that the Transport Treasury has put up the photos Ian Smeeton referred to on their website, I presume as a result of your enquiry ... (in the Digital Print Gallery > New Additions this Month link). From the rodding runs in NF 111/05 and NF 111/06 it's possible to infer that the station throat ground frame must have been on the West side of the line at the South end of the throat.

It does seem like they will put up a whole negative strip of watermarked images in the gallery if you enquire about or order one or two - at least that was the result when I ordered a couple of images of, ermm, NB locations :oops: earlier this month. Quite a nice policy.

A lot of nice Caley images in that New Additions gallery!

regards
Graham Roberts

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Loch Awe wrote:Hi David,

As I sad the GF position was pure guesswork. I now cannot find a photo showing steps so unsure why I put them there. I will remove and also look at changing Loading Bank and will post revised draft for comment.

kind regards,

Robert
Robert

I think photo reference NF111-2 from the Transport Treasury collection is about as good a confirmation as we'll get that the loading bank went up to the end of the site, I have seen a photo which suggests the track way at the end of the buffers had one path down to the yard, a second lead on to the loading bank and the original route which lead in to a farmers field.

I hope this helps with your site plan.

David

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Would I be right in thinking that there is a run of rodding on the left side of the picture, with a lead off to the trap in the yard exit?..... which might suggest the ground frame on the down side. Indeed I could persuade myself that I can see it at the end of the rodding run. Were there any signals at Bankfoot, or just the two points to control from the ground frame?

Allan F

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Guys just had a look at 'New This Month'. I've bought recently some of the Treasures but struggling to see how you idenify where the 'New' ones are unless you know from memory. Also can't actually see Bankfoot ones...help!

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Ignore that post now found..another order for TT about to take place! :-)

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:12 pm

David, Have bought relevant photos. Will look at them and the info in recent posts and revise my drawing and then post for further comment. Many thanks for your help.

kind regards,

Robert

David Elvy

Bankfoot

Post by David Elvy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Loch Awe wrote:Guys just had a look at 'New This Month'. I've bought recently some of the Treasures but struggling to see how you idenify where the 'New' ones are unless you know from memory. Also can't actually see Bankfoot ones...help!
Don't worry, I have been keeping an eye on the TT website for a couple of weeks and hadn't noticed the requested photos had been added, so your not the only one.

The photos were definitely worth requesting.

I will be requesting a few more be added later tonight.

David