Bankfoot

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
David Elvy

Re: Bankfoot

Post by David Elvy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Loch Awe wrote:David, Have bought relevant photos. Will look at them and the info in recent posts and revise my drawing and then post for further comment. Many thanks for your help.

kind regards,

Robert
Robert

I have this morning finally had time to watch a borrowed copy of Scottish Byways, now on the required purchase list, their is only about 30 seconds of the Bankfoot Branch but it does clearly show the lever frame to be located in the down cess, I believe they were known as knee knocker frames, I am sure someone will correct my terminology.

There was also what looked like a ballast bunker about 20ft station side of the lever frame which I haven't seen before, I am not sure if this was an LMS/BR addition?

David

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 pm

David,

Revised dwg for comment.

kind regards,

Robert
Attachments
Bankfoot-M1-u.d.-Rev.4-rot.pdf
(326.53 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:49 am

Robert

I think your drawing reflects all the things we have been able to confirm via the forum, the one thing I still not convinced about are the steps at the end of the station building, I haven't seen anything to suggest there were steps and don't no to where they would have led, I am not saying there weren't steps there at some point in time I am just not aware of anything suggesting they were present.

Nice drawing

David

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi David,

Ah I meant to remove steps but thoughts had been preoccupied with trackwork. Will change. Should Loading Bank be showing joining in to banking at back?

kind regards,

Robert

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Robert,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, I have continued my search for photos and all the photos and video I have seen suggest the loading bank almost blends in to the area behind it at the north end with the ground slowly tapering away at the loco shed end, at the loco shed end I believe the rear of loading bank tapers to the track ground level but as you move away from the railway the field raises up again.

Hope this helps.

David

Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Folks,

As a follow up to this discussion can anyone tell me at what date, or thereabout,s were the Luncarty and Strathord GF's and connections removed? I think probably before 1969, but unsure. Also BR went to a lot of work to incorporate them into the Perth-Stanley re-signalling in 1962. Can anyone comment on what use was made of them to make them worth retaining at that time?

Any thoughts most welcome.

kind regards,

Robert