Lochearnhead

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
IBrown

Lochearnhead

Post by IBrown » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Gordon Marshall’s reply to the recent Away Day Mailing will be of interest :-

“I enjoy receiving “The True Line” and, although some of the detail of old locomotives might be a little away from my interest, the overall spirit of the Association is a pleasure to behold. (I am a Surveyor by profession so buildings are my thing).

Perhaps I can explain my reason for joining the Association. I am a member of the Management Committee for Hertfordshire Scouts who own the old Station at Lochearnhead. We strive to maintain the Station in a spirit of Heritage to the past whilst providing an exciting and efficient centre from which to introduce youngsters to the surrounding hills and lochs.

The building has recently been reroofed and a glass canopy reinstated all round. Attached are a couple of photos I took at Easter this year during a typical Scottish day (Sunshine and Sleet at the same time!) The rainwater downpipes were, at the time of the photos, temporary connections.

Kind regards
Gordon “

There were no attachments with the email, but Gordon emailed me again :-

“I was at Lochearnhead again a few weeks ago with my own Scout District. One of the older Scouts brought a “drone” camera with him. Thought you might be interested in seeing the Station from the air! “

https://youtu.be/ecXycYbls1g

Steve Parsons

Re: Lochearnhead

Post by Steve Parsons » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:41 pm

That's excellent thanks and what a great shape the station and platforms are in all that's missing is the track. Thanks for that Steve

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks, Ian. This Forum continues to amaze with its variety and the unexpected.

Jim S

AndrewsDad

Re: Lochearnhead Scout Station

Post by AndrewsDad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Good evening. Gordon Marshall here.

I am a newcomer to this forum but have been a member of the CRA for a couple of years.
I am a member of the Management Committee for Hertfordshire Scouts who own the old Station at Lochearnhead.
We originally acquired a lease for the then derelict Station back in 1962 and with a mountain of work by volunteers, it was transformed into an outdoor centre for our Scouts as well as for other visitor groups from all over the UK (and in recent times from other European Countries). We purchased the Lease from British Rail in 1977 meaning we had full ownership.
The Committee continue to progress the quality of the accommodation and facilities but in a spirit of Heritage to the Station's origins.

The most recent project has been the recovering of the roof in Slate with new glazing in the existing Canopy to replace the polycarbonate sheeting erected in the last century!
The project has been approved by the Planning Officer for the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park as follows
"I have shared internally with our Built Heritage Officer and our Communities Officer and all agree that this footage is a great record of the work done. The footage provides a really good view of the quality of the workmanship and the detailing of the roof."

Without wanting to overpower this Forum, I would be happy to post some historical and modern pictures we have of the Station if members are interested. Many of the photos we have in our collection are publically available in already published books.

Kind regards

Gordon

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 pm

That looks like an excellent restoration job, with some very nice slating. I do like to see old buildings being refurbished and put to new use.

Some nice flying by the drone pilot too....

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:39 am

I for one, but I am sure others too, would be delighted if Gordon would publish some of his historical and more recent photos for our delectation here.

Jim S

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:09 pm

How about a CRA "Awayday" to visit Lochearnhead.
It is quite a while since the CRA organised a visit to Caledonian Railway sites, the last one that I can remember was a visit around the West End of Glasgow, including Dawsholm of which we has a recent excellent talk by ex Locomotive Fireman Mr Albert Greig.

Any thoughts anyone.

David Blevins.

AndrewsDad

Post by AndrewsDad » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:13 pm

David

I am sure something could be arranged but there are some caveats!
The Scout Association have rules regarding Safeguarding young and vulnerable people.
The site is occupied most weekends by groups of Scouts and we discourage visitors during those times. Virtually all of the Management Committee live in Hertfordshire with only our Deputy Chairman living in the village. He is a retired chap.
I will need to ask the Chairman and the Deputy what they think of the idea of a "guided tour".

I will get back to you on this forum with their response.

Gordon

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 am

Re the away-day idea you could also include the caravan site at St. Fillans

Best

Mike

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:29 pm

I have never been to the caravan site at St Fillans I take it still has some Caley platforms?
The suggestion of an "Away Day in Perthshire" certainly throws up some permutations of places to visit such as St Fillans, Lochearnhead, Glen Ogle Viaduct, Balquhidder, even a round trip via mini-bus starting from Gleneagles via Crieff could take in the afore mentioned and back via Callander & Doune to Bridge of Allan for a train home. A pity it is the wrong time of year just now but perhaps 2016 could hold better prospects if we can raise enough interest.
Who knows what the future might hold!

David Blevins.

dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 am

St. Fillans has a lot more than two Caley platforms! The station is virtually complete except for its track and signals. The 'box still stands and so do the station buildings, and the whole site is now a private caravan park. Well worth a visit, but you have to seek permission first of course.

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

Since we seem to be interested in wanderings around these parts, let us not forget John Young's super book on the lines thereabouts. A conducted tour in the offing, perhaps?

Jim S

AndrewsDad

Post by AndrewsDad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi
A visit to Lochearnhead could be programmed in the week immediately after Easter Sunday 2016 (29 March - 1 April).
Hertfordshire Scouts will have a presence on site that week without young people being present.

If the relevant people on the CRA "Guided Tours Committee" can arrange something, we would be pleased to provide a suitable welcome (with a good chance of a cup of tea and some home baked cakes!)

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:47 am

This looks like the prompting we need to add "days-out" to the range of CRA activities; are there any nominee's for the "Guided Tours Committee"?
jim mac

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 pm

All right. I doubt if there is any risk of my being killed in the rush, so I am prepared to see if an historical tour can be set up.

I'd like help from some real experts, of course.

Jim S

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 pm

Jim

I wouldn't class myself as an expert in much but I'd like to put my name on the list of interested persons to attend.

Let me know off line if you think a certain employer could be of assistance.

David

wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Way back in the mists of time, circa May 2008, the G&SWRA organised a tour around this area using 2-3 motor cars. We started from Paisley, crossed the Erskine bridge and headed due north reaching Callander and then passed through Strathyre and onto Balquidder, where we stopped for a brief inspection of the surviving platforms. We then drove onto the Killin Junction/Lix Toll area and inspected Loch Tay, where a flat bed bridge across a small river can easily be found/located. One can also easily see Glenoglehead Viaduct en route to Killin.

Back to Loch Earnhead and then due east to St.Fillans, where a great deal remains to be seen. Both the signal cabin and station buildings are intact, along with the platforms. Due east to Comrie and Crieff, not much remains, although at Highlandman both the platform and station buildings are reasonably intact. We then travelled further east and inspected former station buildings at Innerpeffray and Madderty. From memory I don't think much more remains of the Crieff-Perth via Methven Line, but I could be wrong.

Gleneagles is also worth a visit/time for photographic work, although the former booking office/entrance is now known as 'Caledonian Cottage' and has a 'No Trespassing' sign at its road entrance for all to see.

I for one would like to re-visit these lines & sites.

best wishes

Arnold T

IBrown

Post by IBrown » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:19 am

I'm interested in a visit too.

Brian Hayes

Post by Brian Hayes » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:49 pm

I would be very interested.

Brian.

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:50 am

Thank you all for the interest shown and the help offered.
Arranging such a trip is now on my "To Do" list, but don't expect details for a while yet.

Since we are on the topic of days out, are there any other areas which interest people? Such as deepest Lanarkshire?

Jim S

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 am

Jim Summers wrote: Since we are on the topic of days out, are there any other areas which interest people? Such as deepest Lanarkshire?
Jim S
Residing in 'deepest lanarkshire' (Biggar) that would be of interest to me.

Jim W

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:45 am

Glad to see the "CRA Away Day" idea is gathering a pace.
I must look out my Hiking Boots and start the dubbing to make them waterproof!
I am only kidding as I am sure it will be well organised with suitable Transport for all ages. Looking forward to a charabanc trip around Perthshire, or elsewhere if someone has suggestions on particular places to visit. I always assumed little was left in Lanark-shire other than derelict over-grown Lines but I suppose there is Motherwell Shed and other Members probably know of other interesting sites to visit.
I await the outcome of this project with anticipation.

David Blevins.

AndrewsDad

Post by AndrewsDad » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 pm

I have been taught how to compress and resize photographs to meet the Forums rules! So now I can share a few photos of Lochearnhead Scout Station with you.

The first two pictures show the Station at Easter 2015 with temporary rainwater downpipes fitted. Unbelievably, the pictures were taken within 15 minutes of each other!
The third photograph shows some of our Spring Working Party carrying out touching up and reinstating after the permanent downpipes were fitted.

Given the dense tree cover on the hillside to the west of the Station, it isn't an easy building to photograph. The effect of the clear glass canopy rather than the dull polycarbonate previously fitted is amazing on the quality of daylight within the building.
Regards, Gordon.
Attachments
Station 1.jpg
Station 1.jpg (269.09 KiB) Viewed 23367 times
Roof 1.jpg
Roof 1.jpg (299.4 KiB) Viewed 23367 times
Canopy 1.jpg
Canopy 1.jpg (185.93 KiB) Viewed 23367 times

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Thank you, Gordon.
No wonder you are proud of it.
Bet you are glad you don't have to look after Glasgow Central.

Jim S