Luncarty

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
LarryC

Luncarty

Post by LarryC »

I have some photographs of Luncarty in CR days, with a view to modelling it. I also have a 6" map for c1912. But I am looking for plans of the station at that time.

Also, from the 1912 6" map it is not clear if there was still a cross-over from the northbound line backwards towards the goods yard; (There is one on the 1865 map) - Does anyone know?
Dave Lochrie

Re: Luncarty

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Larry,
I have the turn of the century OS sheet (not sure of the exact year) which I will post when I get back from Cheltenham in a few days.

Dave L
jasp

Post by jasp »

Larry
Have you looked at the NLS maps web site (Google: nlsmaps). There is a series of 25" OS maps which may cover some of your requirements
Jim P
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Entirely by the by, on the wall of my car port sits the enamel running in board from this station, in the usual blue, with white letters, made by the Falkirk Iron Company. I was given it in 1975 when I called at the site, but what's most remarkable is that it was taken down and replaced by a Caley wooden pattern nameboard with cast iron letters, around the time of the Grouping, yet it still survived all those years after, in some forgotten corner, until I rescued it! The dimensions, in case they're of interest, are 117" x 20", with 12" high letters.

Good luck with the model.

Michael.
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82898859 surveyed 1899 shows a crossover. Indeed the whole layout seems unchanged from the 1865 map.

Allan F
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Guys

Thanks for the updates and info. This is most helpful.
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Looking at the plan again, the trailing crossover and the direction of the sidings suggest that the yard was worked only by south-bound goods trains; presumably they would back their train in, sort the wagons, and then depart. I can't see how any northbound train would be able to do this, even with the use of horse traction.

Would north-bound wagons/loads destined for Luncarty bypass the station and be re-marshalled at Stanley, then despatched south again?

Am I missing something?
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

It would not be unusual to serve a station in one direction only, bringing the wagons back with the train to do so.

This could be a useful dodge on passenger trains if there was a heavy package to be unloaded on the "wrong" side - overcarry it to the terminus and unload it when coming back on the opposite, more convenient, platform.

JimS
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

It would not be unusual to serve a station in one direction only, bringing the wagons back with the train to do so.

This could be a useful dodge on passenger trains if there was a heavy package to be unloaded on the "wrong" side - overcarry it to the terminus and unload it when coming back on the opposite, more convenient, platform.

JimS
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Sorry about the double posting - something to do with the email on the train as I passed Oxwellmains.

JimS
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I note from the WTT that there seem to have been a couple of Road Van Goods called in each direction, which would presumably have carried everything that was light enough to be manhandled.

Allan F