Station lamp

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
jim mac

Station lamp

Post by jim mac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:56 pm

The son of a former member has inherited a Caledonian station lamp, which his father had acquired many years ago.

He has a plan to mount it on the wall of the house and would like advice on the colour he should paint it, along with any other information we can offer.
Station lamp.jpg
Station lamp.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
jim mac

AndrewsDad

Re: Station lamp

Post by AndrewsDad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi Jim
At Lochearnhead, we have a few "special occasion" lanterns that look very similar to your photograph.
Ours are in bare copper without any painted finish. I cannot, however, vouch for how they were when they became "ours".
One of our volunteers has made a couple of new ones from a recycled hot water cylinder!
All have been converted to operate with a low energy electric light bulb.

I will ask the next group visiting to get a better quality photo than the one attached.
As I say, they are not on general display, we only use them when Hertfordshire Scouts are in residence.
Modern bulkhead lighting is the norm.

Gordon
Attachments
Platform Light.jpg
Platform Light.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 3958 times

dunalastairv

Re: Station lamp

Post by dunalastairv » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:52 pm

I too have one of these large lamp cases, complete with a double-burner paraffin reservoir - both inner and outer being clearly stamped 'Caledonian'. There are traces of blue paint on mine, which corresponds with accepted wisdom, and I imagine it will be the same colour as illustrated on the photograph I submitted on the Forum a while back, which had a Dulux colouriser code to assist.

Once very common these larger lamps, it appears very few have survived to be preserved.

Mike Dunn.