812 Class from Rails of Sheffield.

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
dunalastairv

812 Class from Rails of Sheffield.

Post by dunalastairv »

Just to tell everyone that I've been advised today that my order for one of these has been despatched - and I'm sure I'm not the only person looking forward to its arrival!
David Blevins

Re: 812 Class from Rails of Sheffield.

Post by David Blevins »

Me Too.
Looking forward to answering the door to my Class 812 0-6-0.
Xmas is coming Early!
David Blevins.
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Well, it's here - about ten minutes ago! I'm not actually a modeller but I couldn't resist this: the last new engine I had was a 'Princess Elizabeth' in about 1956. My goodness, things have moved on since then: the detailing is fantastic, even down to a brass label on the Westinghouse brake pump! It's truly a thing of beauty.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

My Class 812 arrived on Friday, at last a Caledonian Railway Engine available "off the shelf" and running perfectly.
Only problem I had was one of the Buffers on the tender was loose in the packet, now fixed with a spot of super-glue but as they are sprung buffers be careful if any of you, have the same problem!
My model was "as originally built" but has Lamp Brackets on the tender - next step to remove them with a sharp scalpel.
Overall Very Pleased, maybe we will see another Loco or perhaps 45ft coaches in the future.
David Blevins.
jasp

Post by jasp »

Why are 45’ coaches a requirement?
There are still lots of unbuilt John Boyle kits around, indeed, I have a few available if anyone is interested - I am not sure that I will ever have the time to build them.
Jim P
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Anything "off the Shelf" in Caledonian Railway Livery would be useful to everyone, we are short of everything and constructing vehicles can be a task too far for many. To see "Ready-to-run" Models in Caledonian Livery can only encourage "new/young" Modellers for the future. Coaches should be a Priority, with encouragement shown to Manufacturers such as Bachmann.
David Blevins.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Might seem strange coming from me all things considered but I totally agree with David - we need Caley RTR to encourage people into modelling the CR. Hopefully once they start, they'll look around at what else is available and maybe buy the odd kit from me. I doubt anyone starts their modelling career with an etched brass kit.

Jim
Last edited by caleyJim on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I would agree with Jim's sentiments. While my own choice of scale is highly unlikely to see any 'proper' RTR CR models appear (as opposed to Farish's abominable efforts in the 70's), anything that can encourage modelling of The True Line in any scale is to be encouraged.

I've seen a BR version of the 812 'in the flesh' and was very impressed.

Jim W
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

I'm seeing an up-tick in sales of my CF06 Wheel and Handle door darts since the Bachmann model landed. Coincidence or is there a problem? My model is in LMS livery and has a two handle type so I haven't a reference. I note one livery missing from the line-up - early LMS with the number on the tender (and a Wheel and Handle door dart). Perhaps it is to come?

BTW I feel the cab side sheets are rather thick and you can see a mould line (albeit fairly feint) down the c/l of the boiler which is disappointing. Cab detail is superb tho'

Jim Smellie
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Mine arrived yesterday, order delayed as one of the BR versions didnt arrive at Rails until earlier this week.

The CR as built version absolutely glows and the lining is so beautifully executed. The BR versions are bob on too and really capture the character despite some edges being a little thick and the "carbuncle" on the smokebox which probably explains the sales of CF06 . Carbuncle isnt so pronounced on the black ones. All three of mine have a faint mould line top of the boiler but worse is the fit of the separate plate which represents the underside of the boiler. None of mine fit properly, usually proud one side and causing a raised line along the boiler, and on the blue version the lining doesnt line up one side either. Great shame. It might be possible to remove body and then examine the plate to determine the cause. It may just need a little pressure to push home or possibly removing the plate and a little work with a jewellers file although I would happily do that to the BR ones, think twice about the blue one. But at the price, this shouldnt be necessary.

Plus side, the sound is great albeit a little quiet and I really like the heavy load feature which emits a continuous series of chuffs at a constant pace ... as if its pulling uphill. :)
Theres a bag of details to be fitted, including 3 lovely lamps with the blue, and 4 white ones with the black. Period crew would have been nice though.
Also being able to see the delicate spoked drivers turn on both sides simultaneously, the other side through the space under the boiler, is quite something. Bachmann have done a great job of hiding the motor and drive.
Theres a fantastic firebox flicker too.
The tender nearly as large as the loco makes me smile, I wonder if we will see a Jumbo where that would be even more so.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Could anyone do a review of the model (ideally with photo) for the next True Line?
John
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

I'll recluse myself for obvious reasons John :D

Jim Smellie
RossB

Post by RossB »

Here are a few shots of mine running on the layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwAwii5YyY

IMG_0119.JPEG
IMG_0119.JPEG (93.86 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Ross
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

That double-header and train is quite a sight, Ross.
A nice ending to the year that's nearly awa'

JimS
CliveP

Post by CliveP »

Hi all, received my 'as built' 812 and really pleased with it - lovely to have a decent Caley loco to run once I get my new layout built! I would love some rtr coaches as I have not ventured into kit building so far, perhaps I should give it a try.

Very impressed with the packaging from Rails which meant the model arrived in perfect condition.
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

I received my sound equipped “as built” version of 828 from Rails of Sheffield just before Christmas and am very impressed with it so far.

It has a very nice finish (perhaps a little too glossy for my taste!). The lining is at least as good as the Fox Transfer lining and has the advantage of the bespoke printed bits for the splashers and cab sides etc.

I got the sound equipped version for a bit of fun, (I won’t be fitting it to anything else) but, again, I am impressed. The sound is a lot less tinny than I expected. Also, the synchronisation with the wheels and the coasting is very good.
The loco runs very nicely straight out of the box, even before running in.

I do have a few queries about the detail:
If it is “as built”, shouldn’t the front buffer beam be a single red panel rather than the inset panel on the valence purple background? All the photos I can find from the period have the single panel, with the exception of one of 812 when it left the workshops.

I think the Westinghouse pump is over size – perhaps 828 in preservation has the larger version.

As built, should it not have Furness lubricators rather than McIntosh ones?

I won’t ask the obvious question – is the blue right?!!

Why do manufacturers make boiler bands so thick? My reckoning is that they scale to about 0.05mm – about the thickness of the transfer!

Finally, it does have a couple of shortcomings:
The thickness of the tender side top edges.
There is a slight mould joint line on the top of the boiler.

In summary:
Excellent model, but it’s quite a lot of money.
It compares well with my efforts with the Caley Coaches version (my first venture into etched brass kits) – but a better builder than me would produce a better product from the kit. (For the Caley Coaches version I used the Precision Paints Caley light blue [a bit dull perhaps] and the Modelmaster lining [thicker than the Fox Transfers equivalent])

Cheers

John
Attachments
Donald & Douglas.jpg
Donald & Douglas.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

John, you would be an ideal person to write a brief review for the True Line - with your photo.
John Paton (wearing my "Editorial Team" hat).
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

A lovely comparison photo John, the Bachmann clearly shows the huge ridge along the underside of the boiler ....
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

Hi John & WCML55.68

John - yes, my arm could be twisted to write a few words for the True Line - I'll drop you a PM about the details.

WCML - thanks for the comments! I hadn't really looked closely at the under boiler joint before!

Cheers

John
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

John

Perhaps I'm biased but your kit built example looks none too shabby in comparison. :D

Jim
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

812 Standard Mixed Traffic 0-6-0 + tender locomotives.

In addition to a review of the model, I would suggest that a thumb-nail sketch article surveying these very fine locomotives, along with suitable drawings and photographs, should accompany the review. I am sure that a fellow member could use the text and information contained within ‘The McIntosh locomotives of the CR’ by A.B.McLeod (Ian Allan, 1948) as a ‘template’ for such an article.

Similarly, ‘The story of 828’ by John Thomas (David & Charles, undated – but pre-decimal currency from 1971, and with ‘old’ postal districts) likewise contains a wealth of information and detail.

Obviously Dr.Cornwell’s ‘Caledonian Railway locomotives – the classic years’ (Lightmoor, 2020), contains much updated information and material, and can be noted as well.

It should also be noted that Willie Stewart’s superb 7mm scale line drawing of the 812 class, numbered no. 866, along with its 3,000 gallon tender, and one of the Dübs’ batch, was the first scale drawing which our Association published for sale way back in Nov.1984. It appeared in conjunction with Willie’s superb drawings of the Dunalastair III class locomotive and the 439 class Standard Passenger Tank. It seems just like yesterday when I collected these drawings from the printer in Glasgow and started selling them.

Arnold T
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Although having no interest in the model (wrong scale!), could I suggest that such a comprehensive article also be offered to the model press, thus giving useful publicity to the Association?

Jim W
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

I didn't order any but when they arrived I fancied one of the BR locos so I ordered 57566 and was duly impressed. so impressed that I also purchased the LMS version 17566. I am tempted to buy another. Probably the manky BR version. The Caley blue version looks amazing but isn't really my era.
DSC04795.jpg
DSC04795.jpg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
Last edited by Violets49 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violets49

Post by Violets49 »

PS I wondered why they were versions of the same loco until the penny dropped that 17566 and 57566 were the LMS and BR numbers for 828.
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

Hi Folks,

I saw one of these at the club last night and ran it on my incomplete layout. It is a lovely thing.

I was very impressed with the tender pickups using split axles as the source of current. This posed an issue for me, however. My points demand a 14mm back to back measurement for the wheels and usually I can persuade the extra few thou (mix of units there!) between the wheels by twisting and tugging. The clever split axles with pickup sleeves look as if this might be impossible. Am I right?

Graham