DJH 812 class

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
jasp

DJH 812 class

Post by jasp »

Could anyone provide me with a copy of the instructions for the above kit?
Thanks
Jim P
email: [email protected]
lindsay_g

Re: DJH 812 class

Post by lindsay_g »

If you Google, you'll find it somewhere as I did some time ago.

Best of luck with turning that pig's ear into a silk purse. Sell it on eBay and get another etch from Jim! Mmm, maybe that's why you want the instructions.

Lindsay
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Open to persuasion to do another batch of CL02 for the 812/652. Need to find homes for at least 5.

Jim, Caley Coaches.
jasp

Post by jasp »

Thanks chaps
It is with the intention of selling that I need the instructions.
Jim P
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Sorry for repeating this posting but it seems we have two threads related to the Class 812:

By popular demand as small batch of Caley Coaches' kit CL02 for the Class 812/652 loco and tender will be made available in the second half of 2022 and can now be ordered from https://www.caley.com/class812.php.

Jim :)
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

I'd be interested in why people are still keen to build 812s now that the R2R version is available. I have a Caley Coaches version built as a 652 of which I am very fond and may build another. But I thought I was just eccentric. I have a problem with the R2R engine as it would show up my own kit-built efforts, especially in the article of painting and lining. One is a DJH 812 kit and another is a kit bashed LSWR 700 class which I started in 1969 when I was 20 and then took 45 years off. One of my joys in the hobby is to build stuff so buying R2R isn't my bag.

Best wishes, Graham
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

I know what you mean Graham, but I think all of us railway modellers are a bit eccentric.

I'm glad there are very few suitable locos and rolling stock available off the shelf as it's made me put effort into kit building. I now enjoy it more than the scenery aspect (which is in itself a bit of a problem as I'm easily diverted!).

I have bought a Rails of Sheffield 828 and an very impressed with it, but I still prefer running my version built from a Caley Coaches kit. It's much more satisfying knowing it's partly down to my own effort.

One solution to the paint and lining issue is to pay to have it done professionally, but that could get a bit eye watering on price!

Of course, now that the blue versions of Rails' 828 are all sold out, the only option is kit building or repainting a black one!

Cheers

John
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

I had thought that with the advent of the RTR version, there would be no demand for the kit so I was going to drop it from the range but there appears to be still be a few folk who want the kit hence I'm in the process of making a small run available. Most are pre-ordered but I've still a few needing to find homes if anyone is looking. As Graham has pointed out, it can be built as a Class 652 which is not available RTR. Also it is quite possible the kit is a better starting proposition if you model in P4 or even EM.

Jim Smellie
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

Following John's reply, I attach photos of the 812 class conversion/kit-bash from the BEC 700 class and the Caley coaches 652 class. The former has a Triang 123 tender, heavily modified, which has just been fitted with new steps which need tweaking to narrow them down at the front. I am toying with replacing the tender with the Caley Coaches kit.

Both are hand painted and lined with HMRS and Fox's lining. It's not too difficult for the blue engines (HMRS LNER) but, for the black engines, fixing two separate sets of Fox's waterslide lines close to each other, red first then white, involves lots of interim varnishing and at least a years' quota of bad language.

I have tried to damp down the difference in tone between the main colour and the lining as, left to themselves, they jar compared to the photos of the prototypes. So a thinned coat of blue or black (as appropriate) has been applied after yet another coat of varnish. It also minimises the jarring effect of any faults.

The general impression is fine, I think, but the paint jobs are far from the museum quality seen on these pages and on the new 828 model. However, I send them to encourage others to have a go.
Attachments
An 812 converted frim a BEC 700 class
An 812 converted frim a BEC 700 class
812 from bec (1).jpeg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 184 times
A 652 from the Caley Coaches kit
A 652 from the Caley Coaches kit
652 (2).jpeg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 184 times