RTR Caley 812.

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Dave John

RTR Caley 812.

Post by Dave John » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 pm

This caught my eye

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ss-0-6-0s/

It is available as a pre order from

https://railsofsheffield.com

I have no idea what it will end up like but its a welcome start, hopefully gets more folk interested in the Caley in general.

jasp

Re: RTR Caley 812.

Post by jasp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Time-scale is expected to be c. 18 months, price £150-160
Rails are also interested in producing coaches, presumably only if sales of the loco are satisfactory, so some time in the future. Jim Mac has had a short discussion with them.
Jim P

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am

I spoke with RAILS late Sunday and would suggest Jim Mac made quite an impression and as always was great ambassador for the CRA and CR modellers, I think our support for their venture will reap benefits for us long term.

David

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm

I too had a chat with them, I have pre - ordered 2 in as built finish. Perhaps a bit cheeky of me, but I did suggest to the very helpful lady on the ROS stand that they join the CRA, since I'm sure the membership here would be forthcoming with any specific details of the class.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I have ordered mine. No other news to report.

Tony B

RossB

Post by RossB » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Excellent news indeed, hopefully it will be the start of a range of Caley prototypes.

Ross

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:02 pm

What we could really do with is a decent Jumbo. Which reminds me. Is there any progress on the promised new etched kit for the same?

Tony B

jasp

Post by jasp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Tony
Dave Smith should be at the AGM and may be able to provide an update.
Jim P

LarryC

Post by LarryC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Dave

Great spot. I'm down for two as well. A Jumbo or a 439 would be great, too. With the NB 0-6-0 from Hornby, at last there seems a chance of a range of Scottish pre-grouping locos.

LarryC

Post by LarryC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Dave

Great spot. I'm down for two as well. A Jumbo or a 439 would be great, too. With the NB 0-6-0 from Hornby, at last there seems a chance of a range of Scottish pre-grouping locos.

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 am

As I have built a Caley Coaches 812 and DJH Jumbo and (the latter being best viewed from a fair distance) and as I model the CR in BR days (heresy?) I'd really like to see a Pickersgill class 72 4-4-0 but I suspect that there isn't much chance of that happening either in kit or RTR form. I've got a DJH class 439 that I intend to build this year but it's somewhat less than ideal and I suspect is not going to be easy in P4 so an etched brass version of that would also be very welcome - I'm really quite surprised that it hasn't already been done.

DT

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 am

Caley Jumbo Kit

I spoke to Dave Smith at the AGM. The chap who is doing the Jumbo kit, whose name escapes me for the moment, has been ill but is continuing to work on the kit. I guess we should be patient.

Tony B

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:13 pm

He's Pete Stanger of 52F Models. A couple of years ago he suffered a serious stroke and while he is working hard on a daily exercise regime, his recovery is taking longer than he anticipated. As yet there is no mention on his site of the Jumbo - indeed, a couple of projects that he had nearly completed at the time of his stroke have still not been released.

DT

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks for the update David.

Tony B

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:49 pm

A friend who knows Pete Stanger well tells me that all of his new kits have been held up by his inability to get the masters for the castings done as he is still finding it difficult to use the milling machine without full use of both hands following his stroke.

Alan

LarryC

Post by LarryC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 pm

I think it might be useful to think about what R-T-R rolling stock we would like with the 812. I would suggest some McIntosh 48' stock - a brake 3rd, a composite and a 3rd. There are a number of ex-Decent Models 45' stock; that can also bought from the Worsley Works for £30 at time. Jim Smillie's 57 ft stock, and Grampian 65 ft stock cover other bases. The 48 ft stock was built in reasonable numbers, so modellers could justifiably buy several.

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm

LarryC wrote:I think it might be useful to think about what R-T-R rolling stock we would like with the 812. I would suggest some McIntosh 48' stock - a brake 3rd, a composite and a 3rd. There are a number of ex-Decent Models 45' stock; that can also bought from the Worsley Works for £30 at time. Jim Smillie's 57 ft stock, and Grampian 65 ft stock cover other bases. The 48 ft stock was built in reasonable numbers, so modellers could justifiably buy several.
Sorry I cannae help with r-t-r models but if folk would like other kits that can be arranged.

David

LarryC

Post by LarryC » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 pm

I saw the mock-ups of the 812 at Rails of Sheffield's stand at Model Rail today. They look absolutely terrific. It may be a while before the finished models are available but they will be well worth it.

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:36 am

I noticed the first passes just as I was leaving on Friday. Didn't have long to examine them and they were toward the back of the stand, but what I noticed straight away was that the Caley version had the Smillie wheel of the smokebox dart but not the inner handle - rather stood out as being missing to me.

What I find rather limiting and short-sighted with the reproductions is that they're all based on various incarnations of No 828 with Westinghouse pump and associated (passenger) liveries but that is hardly representative of the Class 812. 828 was part of the first batch of only 17 locos, whereas the vast majority of the class were built in subsequent batches and were all steam braked (initially) and liveried accordingly. So, if anyone wants to use this model as representative of the Class and the field it worked within then there is some surgery and then a major repaint and lining involved.

Having said that, we shouldn't knock the fact that a Caley model is hitting the RTR market. I just wonder whether we, the Association, might have had a greater say in determining the final options available.

Lindsay

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:01 pm

This model was agreed between 'Rails' and 'Caledonian Locomotive 828 Trust', such was the secrecy that the first time the CRA was involved was when I was asked for permission to use photographs from the book "Caley 828" for publicity material, the day before the model was announced at Model Rail 2018!
jim mac

LarryC

Post by LarryC » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 pm

The commercial realities mean that in future, to prevent rivals stealing a march, an assistant from Rails said to me that models will be kept under wraps till they are at the stage of development shown at Model Rail at the weekend. There seems little way that we as an association can have much input into future developments, unfortunately.

It would have been nice if a steam-braked version had been made available. It would be a great pity to over-paint an expensively applied finish - but on a plainer BR or LMS finish, just maybe....

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks for the insights, Jim & Larry.

It’s a pity that the Association wasn’t consulted in any shape or form in confidence, as we might have ended up with more representative versions of the class - and a more accurate representation of the prototype. Another thread has been started this morning which gives a link to the Rails of Sheffield pages which show the 5 versions under development. So, I have to take back something I said about the existence of the Westinghouse on all models as the LMS/BR versions don’t have this fitted, but no easier to convert as they’re in later liveries and period piping added which didn’t exist on 812’s initially. Also, there is a (weathered) version of another engine (57565) – pity they didn’t choose a steam braked engine as an alternative in the CR period.

The models aren't perfect but things may be developed further and they will look better resplendent in one livery or another. I’ve really only looked closely at the “As built” version and what stands out is a lot of pronounced rivets on the footplate and elsewhere, later style of washout plugs, and overscale beading and rail around and to the rear of the cab (which can be the norm with plastic bodied models) – it’s a pity that the long rear cab rail couldn’t have been made of metal as it looks pretty muckle especially from the rear. The engine is probably better overall than the tender which doesn’t look a great representation. The beading is way too thick and quite wrong at the front, steps are clumsy with right angled turn-ups front and rear, and the rear has been modelled on 828’s present tender and square-based buffers but missing the heavy cross plate between chassis side frames (probably due to presence of tension coupler on some versions).

The price has also crept up somewhat.

Lindsay

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:31 am

Can I suggest that the "other loco " numbered 57565 is a misprint by Rails and the loco is another variation of 57566. In other words all the variations are based on CR828 at various stages of its careers.
Jim mac

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am

It does seem strange to have chosen a sister engine, and just one number adrift. However, it doesn't seem to be just a misprint as there's an image of 57565 alongside the model, unless of course one error compounded the other. The tenders of both prototype locos at that time had the additional steel plate along the foot of the tank sides which might have been the thought behind introducing some variation.

Lindsay

A quick edit : It's not a misprint. Seems that 57565 had additional sand boxes retro fitted rear of the middle wheels and these have been modelled, rather crudely, on that version (but no sand pipes at the front of the engine and front of tender). The brake pipework is also a bit crude on this and on 3 of the other 4 versions being well overscale in diameter and running in front of the cab steps rather than sometimes behind them.
Last edited by lindsay_g on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm

A small point but an important one nevertheless - Did anybody check with Rails of Sheffield that the wheel splasher spacing and dimensions will be to scale and hence suitable for scale, i.e. P4, wheels. We can deal with almost anything else but if you can't fit proper wheels in it the fine finish is worthless.
Tony B