The next 4mm wagon project

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
tony brenchley

The next 4mm wagon project

Post by tony brenchley »

Following the success of the Pickering wagon bodies we are looking at the next project. Many of you will know we already have proposals to include the 8-ton dead buffer mineral wagon (diagram 22) and 8-ton sprung buffer mineral wagon (diagram 46) and an outside framed 7-ton mineral wagon in the programme.

Mike Williams has been working on some pre-Drummond 10-ton loco coal wagons. One of these bodies could be used as a pattern and slotted into the programme ahead of the other wagons. These coal wagons, like the 7-ton mineral wagon , had w irons outside trhe solebars. We have a solution for the underframes and one of our members is working on a new etch for the cosmetic w irons and brake gear

The normal batch size for cast resin wagon bodies is 50 as this is probably as many castings of good quality as can be got from one mould. We therefore need orders of 50 or there abouts to ensure the unit price is reasonable. I cannot say what the price will be at this stage but I am hoping that we can do these for about the same price as the Pickering bodies.

I have attached a photo of two of these wagons

To go ahead I need firm commitments for somewhere near 50 bodies. Please let me have your order (no money yet please) to my email address [email protected] as soon as possible.

We won't go ahead until we know what the price to you will be!

Tony B
tony brenchley

Re: The next 4mm wagon project

Post by tony brenchley »

Sorry about the spelling error in the original title box. Two of my many weaknesses are typing and proof reading. I have changed the title in the box for this message. Will that create a new stream?

Some people have had difficulty in viewing and downloading the photo I included with the original message. Maybe this is because it was a tif file. I have converted it to a jpg file and re-attached it with this message. I hope everyone can now access it.

Tony B
Attachments
10 Ton Loco Coal Wagons 2.jpg
10 Ton Loco Coal Wagons 2.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 5282 times
Barry Rhys

Post by Barry Rhys »

tony brenchley wrote:Sorry about the spelling error in the original title box. Two of my many weaknesses are typing and proof reading. I have changed the title in the box for this message. Will that create a new stream?

Some people have had difficulty in viewing and downloading the photo I included with the original message. Maybe this is because it was a tif file. I have converted it to a jpg file and re-attached it with this message. I hope everyone can now access it.

Tony B
Tony, to change the title for the whole topic (and hence how it appears on the topic listing) you need to Edit the title in your first post - that guarantees that only the original poster (ie. you) and a Moderator can change a topic title.

Thanks for redoing the photo, as I was one of those who could not view it, though I didn't realise it was because it was a .tif file. So now I know.

Thanks, Neil
Half Welsh, 100% Yorkshireman
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Hi Tony, Not sure about the photo visibility thing, could see the image clearly on my home Mac, but when I logged in at work the original tif was inaccessible, no problem with the jpeg though.
I picked up my parcel from the Post Office this morning ( was away at weekend, and despite leaving a household of assorted teenagers and early twenties people, it seems none of these, do mornings or answering the door).
Congratulations to you and Mike, the quality if the resin moulding is exceptional (far better than if we had attempted to produce a batch at home) the manufacturer has refined the process considerably and the delicacy of what the process can produce has evolved over the last few years.
I'll send a separate email with an order for the standard 10ton loco coal wagons, this looks to be a promising and cost effective venture, enabling all of us to have wagon bodies "hand built" for us by Mike, Allan F and Len.
As always I have several suggestions for possible future subjects.

Dave L
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Tony, I have changed the spelling of topic and deleted the tif file to same space.
jim mac