45FT Carriages

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
HMcG

45FT Carriages

Post by HMcG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi everybody,

I have been a member for a few years now but this is the first time on the forum. I have been building gauge 1 models for the past few years, mainly from kits. I have built a LMS 2P from Barret Steam models, a LMS brake van and recently, I've now scratch built mineral wagon. Now I need some carriages!

I'm looking at the 45ft carriages (chapter 8 - Caledonian Railway Carriages) as I intend to build a garden railway sometime in the future when time permits. The shorter length carriages should be better for small garden platforms.

However, I need some information regarding the colours and materials used in the interiors of these carriages. Everything from the colour of seats and the fabric used in first and third, floor coverings, walls, ceilings, lavatories etc. If anybody can help with this information I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: 45FT Carriages

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello Henry

There's information in Chapter 4.3 of the carriage book. Basically the Drummond colour schemes continued into the McIntosh era. Hope this helps

Best

Mike

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 am

Henry
The 45ft carriages were discussed in detail in TTL38 and 39. The Journal back-numbers are available, as a searchable PDF on two CDs, which can be obtained from Mail Order Sales if you don't already have them.

jim mac

HMcG

Post by HMcG » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:31 pm

A very BIG thanks to the people who responded to my question.

Henry

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Sounds lovely Henry. Barrett have a good reputation and those 45ft carriages are so attractive.

Mike