Coach lining

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Orbiston

Coach lining

Post by Orbiston » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm a big fan of Caley Coaches but up to now I've demurred at building one of the flush sided 57 footers. I bottled a previous attempt and finished it in LMS colours! But I thought I'd bite the bullet and commissioned some transfers of what I believe are called 'stadia' - the oblong off-white shapes. Judge for yourself but the result is mixed. Certainly the finish is much better than I could achieve painting on a flat surface. And you can depict the yellow surround which only confirms a theory of mine that you cant see the yellow line in 4mm scale - or at least my eyes cant! On the other hand the transfers supplied are printed on a continuous sheet of transparent carrier which requires some tight trimming round the shapes themselves. Of course you can also use them on panelled stock if you don't fancy painting the panels. Overall I feel it is worth pursuing perhaps by someone more competent than I and I wonder whether it is something the Association could source?
Attachments
Caley coach.jpg
Caley coach.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

jasp

Re: Coach lining

Post by jasp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Have you already commissioned the transfers?
If so, there may be interested parties, myself included, but I suspect not too many.
My own original thought was to cut out apertures in styrene or thin perspex sheet using the Cameo cutter for the former or milling the latter which I would then use as “stencils” to form the outline with opaque ink, then filling the interior with similar ink, or paint.
An alternative, possibly better, would be to use the Cameo to cut out the “panels” in white adhesive backed plastic film - readily obtained - easily applied.
Unfortunately, like many other ideas, I have not got around to trying. Perhaps if I built the rest of my 57’ coaches I would have the incentive to do so.
Jim P

Orbiston

Post by Orbiston » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:12 pm

I had similar ideas to your own. I experimented with a metal template you can get in Hobbycraft which has a similar shape outline. The problems are ink flowing under the template and getting the right shade of white. I also thought of the adhesive sticker idea with silhouette cutter. I don't possess a silhouette cutter and my drawing skills are pretty basic. As well as the problem of getting the right colour would the stickers be too thick and stand out? I don't know which is why I went for the transfer idea. I have already obtained the transfers but got the relevant quantities hopelessly wrong. I have lots of big pieces for brake vans but not enough of the little door sized one.

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:58 pm

I'll have the same problem on Balerno stock - if I ever get round to painting them! I think I'd also go for the Silhouette cutter approach but I'd use address labels or something similarly adhesive. If time is taken to space them correctly, a single sheet could have all the apertures cut in it so that it can be stuck to the coach side quickly and with all apertures positioned accurately. The time taken at the design stage will probably be repaid by the saving/accuracy later on. Of course that's only a solution if you have, or have access to, a cutter!

I'm currently in the process of painting some Caley buildings - getting neat straight edges between all the cinnamon and purple brown framing seems as challenging as lining.

Lindsay

jasp

Post by jasp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:02 am

The vinyl when removed from the backing sheet are very thin, probably thinner than labels.
I will try to remember to measure the thickness.
I would initially use white, the colour of which could be altered using acrylic paint - the same colour as the true panels, preferably before cutting.
Re “stencils”, a wee spacing piece between the stencil and the job avoids bleed of ink or paint between.
Reluctantly, I feel a wee challenge here!
Jim P

Orbiston

Post by Orbiston » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Another alternative. The coach on the right is the Worsley Works 45' with transfer lining. The one on the left is the Open 3rd made from cuttings I got York Modelmaking to do for me. The panelling is just as Mr McIntosh did it all those years ago in that there are two layers, the base layer with the windows cut out and the outer layer with the 'stadia' also cut out. The inner layer is painted white the outer, plum. It is a bit dodgy, I made a couple of mistakes. I thought I could colour the inside of the outside cut yellow to mimic the lining but it didnt work. Secondly I laminated the sides before forming the body shape which made it difficult to form the proper profile. The idea in principle might work better in brass?

Orbiston

Post by Orbiston » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:51 am

Sorry photo did not copy across - try again
Attachments
stadia2.jpg
stadia2.jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 658 times