Worsley Works Carriage Etches

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
tony brenchley

Worsley Works Carriage Etches

Post by tony brenchley » Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 am

Has any body bought and made up CR 45' stock from these etches?

I understand they have their origin in the Red Rose Models etches from the 1980s produced by Philip Millard. Worsley Works apparently acquired the artwork for these etches. The Red Rose etches were single sided on quite thick zinc sheet. Are the WW etches now made n brass and are they still single sided etches requiring the window openings to be cut out?

The etches are offered in different scales. Presumably those for 4mm scale in made in the usual 30 or 40 thou brass.

This is the only source of the 45' composite carriage as John Boyle never included this variant in his Decent Models range. I would contemplate buying one of these but £30 seems a lot of money for an etch that potentially needs a lot of work done on it. I would probably continue to finish the RR etch I am working on which now has the windows cut out.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Tony B

jimwatt2mm

Re: Worsley Works Carriage Etches

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sat May 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Tony,

I have a set of these etches in 2MM scale. they are in brass and etched both sides. There are 4 sections, sides; roof; floor, solebars and footboards and a small etch with the ends, headstocks and brackets to attach the body to the floor. There are also two gaps on my ends etch which I guess originally had the end steps (as one piece to poke through from the inside), but have gone AWOL since I got them. The sides have the ventilators and droplights as part of the etching, but I suppose you could file the latter away and use John's droplights. There are no door or grab handles and the roof has no holes for gas lamps or ventilators and there is no provision for the alarm indicators or gas controls on the ends. Were any of these converted to electric lighting? Can't recall from Mike's book.

HTH,

Jim

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Sat May 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi Tony, I made two of the 45' coaches last year but can't get any more at present. They are 16 or 20 thou brass with windows cut out. The window opening frames are on a separate etch and need attaching behind the main side. They are pierced for handles. The ends are double layered so that the steps can be pushed through. The roof comes flat with the requisite holes for ventilators, etc. There is a floor and solebars plus fold-up 'boxes' to fasten the bogies to. No bogies, stays, steps, buffer beams, internal partitions, steps or window plastic. I can't remember for certain if the buffers and ventilators are included but I think not.

They are the first etched coaches I have built and I am very impressed with and proud of them but they are, as claimed, an aid to the scratchbuilder rather than a kit. You will need access to a set of roller bars for the roof and a soldering iron with some wellie to solder the sides and solebars onto the chassis. Although you could glue them. They take many hours each to make.

For me, the main job was painting them. I painted the whole side in purple-brown and then added the white inner panels by the flooding with dilute paint method, about six coats in all. Not difficult as long as the panel you are flooding is revolved to keep the paint brush pointing at the edge you are working on. I fell short of yellow lining them as I feel it adds little compared with the work involved to add over-scale lines. I did some of that on scratch-built coaches when I was 21 but that's 50 years ago and I'm less steady and more aware of my mortality/time usage now!

I really wanted to get a couple more for lock-down but none were available.

Best wishes, Graham

John Duffy

Post by John Duffy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:28 am

Tony I have not built his Caledonian range, but have used the GNSR coaches in the range. I found them to be very well etched and of a high standard. They are a scratch building aid and only provide the basic shell, but are a very useful resource.

John

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks for your replies. These kits are obviously more complete than I thought and I may well be tempted. My Red Rose composite now has a completed body, courtesy of spare cast ends, droplights and ventilator bonnets from John Boyle's kits. Soldering the cast ends to the thick zinc bodies tested my 50 watt soldering iron to the limit! I have a spare JB underframe to build for it now.
Tony B

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:07 pm

I've just had an email from Allen Doherty that his etchers have restarted work and he could take my order for two coaches. I'm sure other folks' needs might be more available now as well! Best wishes, all. Graham

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks for that Graham.

Dave Lochrie managed to find a Worsley Works composite on the internet. You may have seen my post elsewhere expressing disappointment with the underframe that can best be described as basic. The kit as sent to me by Dave has no solebar overplays and other parts such as lower footboards and truss rods. Are these included in the kit and just missing from what I have?

The body sides and ends are quite clean and crisp etches but. and its a big but, included on the lower body side are etched strips standing out from the body where the door edges should be. The prototype carriages certainly did not have this feature and I wonder where it comes from. John Boyle's etches have a slight mark to indicate where the door edges are but nothing like this. See photo below.
WW Composite body si8de Forum.jpg
WW Composite body si8de Forum.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 789 times

On the Red Rose etch that I am making up I added lower door hinges as these are conspicuous on the prototypes. I made them from small pins with the heads filed down and fitted into holes drilled in the body side. See second photo below.
RR Composite Forum.jpg
RR Composite Forum.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 789 times
I would wish to repeat this on the WW etches but to do so will require removal of the offending strips. Has anybody risked this and if so how did you do it without damaging the body sides?

While I'm on - I looked at your thread on the RM Web Jim on building a JB carriage in 2mm scale. Fantastic work and an inspiration to everyone. I hope my 45' carriages in 4mm look as good as this.

Best wishes to all and stay safe

Tony B

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:32 pm

tony brenchley wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm
While I'm on - I looked at your thread on the RM Web Jim on building a JB carriage in 2mm scale. Fantastic work and an inspiration to everyone. I hope my 45' carriages in 4mm look as good as this.
Thanks for the kind comment, Tony. I've just this minute completed it. The lettering and crest are very much 'impressionist'!
completed.JPG
completed.JPG (59.26 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Jim W

Orbiston

Post by Orbiston » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:25 am

If you scroll down this section to a post I put up on coach lining you can see one of the Worsley Works 45' I built. I found it very easy and I'm ham fisted. I've never mastered the arcane art of soldering so like all of my models its stuck together with glue. Some of my models are 40 years old and have survived being dropped, etc. I used the picture to demonstrate some ogee transfers I got made primarily for Jim's 57' kits but the Worsley Works kits could be painted using the flooding technique. I didn't realise there was a problem with the WW kits as I've been meaning to order some more for some time but have got a backlog to get through first.

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 pm

The WW etches have nothing below the solebar and no solebar overlays and nothing much below the floor except the solebars and the box onto which bogies can be pivoted. I cut these in half as they seemed over-generous and I needed some for another coach! They are marketed, I think, as aids to scratchbuilding rather than kits. I didn't try to take the ridges away from the lower door edges.