Proposed NBR Mineral Wagon Kit

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
tony brenchley

Proposed NBR Mineral Wagon Kit

Post by tony brenchley »

Our colleagues in the North British Railway Study Group are planning a kit for an NBR 7-ton mineral wagon in 4mm scale. This is similar to the familiar CR mineral bogies and contemporary with them.

The format will be as for to our TLM kits with a moulded resin body and white metal and etched brass underframe components. Unlike TLM they are planning to include etched brass w-irons and bearings. The original pattern for the body was made by Simon da Souza for the Burntisland group. I have attached photos of the pattern.

The price will be a maximum of £16.50 with w-irons. CRA members will be entitled to the NBRSG members discount price when this is confirmed. Please give your CRA membership number to confirm your entitlement.

Production of the kit is highly dependent on sufficient interest being confirmed prior to manufacture. Would you please declare your interest and likely number of wagons as soon as possible to the NBRSG sales officer, Keith Crombie, by email at [email protected].

Tony B
NBR Pattern1 Forum.jpg
NBR Pattern1 Forum.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 924 times
NBR Pattern 2 Forum.jpg
NBR Pattern 2 Forum.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 924 times
NBR Pattern 3 Forum.jpg
NBR Pattern 3 Forum.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 924 times
jimwatt2mm

Re: Proposed NBR Mineral Wagon Kit

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Only comment I would make is that the CR ones had outside W-irons and also long tie bars running through the top rail and bolted to the solebars.

They'll be far too big for me anyway! (100% overscale) :)

Jim W
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

These are excellent mouldings --- I presume Simon has had new moulds made from the original masters, which were of a very high standard. I understood the original moulds had become too worn.
I finished about a dozen of them, and the work involved is not five minutes worth: it involved:
Hoops for end doors.
Rods to secure sides vertically through the top and into the solebar.
Side door hinges with loops top and bottom and a vertical hinge pin.
Thinning the solebars to make room for suspension units (Bill Bedford -- half of them were sprung)
Brake gear in its entirety
Fitting coupling hooks and whatever coupling system floats your boat -- we used AJ's
A problem for all of them was lack of weight. Half of them had coal loads; for the empty ones we eventually resorted to false internal lead floors.

Another slightly geekish issue for me is that they are not identical to any photographs of CR wagons. I did a study of available photographs, and out of about 100 identifiable outside framed CR wagons, about half had a central door with two panels either side; about half had an offset door with one panel to the left, and four panels to the right of the door; the odd one or two had no side door atall. Therefore I wasn't tempted at the time to paint any in CR colours.

So I'll likely buy one or two, but I don't think I'll make up a train! Incidentally I see that in April 2009 they cost me £10.50 a time, without, I think, fittings.

Allan F
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

I'm not sure that Tony was suggesting that these could or should be passed off as CR wagons, merely that these were available to CRA members from the NBRSG should any of us want to make a purchase. However, if anyone wanted to pass them off as CR wagons, the points that Jim and Allan have made are very valid. Pity that the CR did have the outside irons - life would have been so much easier for us modellers - having said that, that's true of many of the Caley's detailing whether on locos, stock or buildings.

Lindsay
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

I know from my own research that these NBR wagons are not like any of the CR bogies I have seen in photos. I am passing them off as NBR wagons only!

Tony B
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

Has anyone a photograph of the prototype or an accurate model so that one can letter them correctly, please? Best wishes everyone, Graham
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

I've just discovered the instructions at the bottom of the box. Silly me! Senior moment!