Drawing instruments

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Jim Summers

Drawing instruments

Post by Jim Summers »

And now for something completely different . . . .

During the lockdown I have been doing quite a lot of lining models using bow pens and compasses. In my collection thereof I had forgotten that I have two examples of instruments which are alleged to have been liberated from St Rollox. Some pictures are attached, and I leave you to speculate on what these pens might have drawn over the years.

JimS
Drawing instruments reduced .jpg
Drawing instruments reduced .jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Bow pen sample .jpg
Bow pen sample .jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Bow compass example .jpg
Bow compass example .jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 809 times
tony brenchley

Re: Drawing instruments

Post by tony brenchley »

These are lovely instruments Jim. What did you use yourself for lining?
Tony B
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Jim

Rereading your note about the CR drawing instruments, I remembered that I have a set sort of similar. These, as far as I know, came from the (Civil) Engineer's office in Perth (the same place as my clock). I would imagine they date back to CR days.
I have one or two bow pens and compasses, but I've never managed to achieve consistent results. I wonder whether any expert could run a forum for us (me) on how to use these things effectively, as they seem to be by far the best way of achieving really fine lines, if you know how to use them properly.

DSCN0904.JPG
DSCN0904.JPG (85.17 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Allan F
jasp

Post by jasp »

Allan
There was a series of postings on RM Web by Mike Trice which are quite informative.
The first was on 26th May 2010, titled “Using a ruling pen”
Jim P
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

There's also a very good section in Geoff Haynes' book Painting and Lining Model Locomotives and Coaches (catchy short title!) on preparation and use of bow pens. A lot of success lies in preparation of the pen - honing the jaws to equal length and shape, sharpening, then taking the edge just off - I've bought 4 or 5 lovely old pens on eBay and I can see they'll need such treatment before serious use. They were all a steal - as long as even just 1 or 2 of them produce fine lines I'll be happy.

Lindsay
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Tony asked what I use myself for lining.
I have two Swiss Kern bow pens, which are no longer available. The first must be about 40+ years old, and was expensive in those days. The second came from a batch which the Scalefour Stores came by a few years ago and sold off very reasonably. Both are an absolute delight to use and positively relaxing compared with some I have tried.

As to the ex-Caley ones I showed earlier, both work, but recently I have used the bow pen for the gold inset lining on the panelling of five John Boyle coaches. It seemed only right to use a Caley pen on Caley vehicles. It worked well, but as each coach had two sides and X no. panels, I am almost happy to be turning to installing the door handles and grab rails.

As for advice, Ian Rathbone's book on Painting and Lining is very comprehensive, entertaining in the text, and very well illustrated. It doesn't leave much more to be said, so I recommend it as a good read in its own right to see fine craftsmanship and methods. However, I will try to attach a pdf of a poor copy of Chris Meachen's very practical basic guide.

I also attach pictures of some of the work of the Kern pens. The crane picture wasn't sharp to begin with!

Jim
CR No1 Crane reduced.jpg
CR No1 Crane reduced.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Sligo & Leitrim 1 reduced .jpg
Sligo & Leitrim 1 reduced .jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 679 times
DSC08785 reduced .jpg
DSC08785 reduced .jpg (55.1 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Attachments
Lining by Chris Meachen .pdf
(802.31 KiB) Downloaded 51 times