Jumbos on Ebay

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
lindsay_g

Jumbos on Ebay

Post by lindsay_g »

There are 2 Jumbos currently for sale on ebay one of a completed model masquerading as an 812 and the other an unstarted DJH kit. On the positive side the DJH kit is currently standing at £57 which is a fraction of the £190 you'd pay DJH today for the kit. However be aware that this is an old whitemetal kit which was probably acceptable at the time of its release but would no doubt be panned by reviewers if launched now.

There are several things wrong with the loco but the tender is way out. It represents no single prototype but is rather an amalgam of several CR tenders. Again starting with the positive it has 6 wheels which is spot on. Extra long slots in the frames would be found on a Stroudley type tender (but even these are oversize) as was the central water filler. However they didn't have the conventional axleboxes and springs fitted to all later tenders. The high sided tender was only introduced by Lambie and the first one to be fitted from new with a curved backplate dividing coal and water fillers and side plates (and doors). No Jumbo tender was ever fitted with a freestanding cylindrical handbrake column, better without it in any case as there are no brakes to bear on any of the 12 wheels on the model.

However, with a bit of effort it can be made into something more akin to a Jumbo. Certainly better picking it up well below DJH's price tag.

Lindsay
jimwatt2mm

Re: Jumbos on Ebay

Post by jimwatt2mm »

DJH kit has gone for £88. Not that I was in the slightest interested!

Jim W
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Sorry you've lost me how is it masquerading as an 812 class, surely some Jumbos were painted blue as well. This one either Jumbo or 812 shouldn't be blue but black as it's not fitted with an air pump but no where can I see it being claimed as an 812 its only referred to as a Jumbo?
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

‘Twas light-hearted reference to the fact that the model carries the number 812.
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Ah I get you now thanks my mistake sorry
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Well that Chad Valley jumbo just sold for over £280. And it may not even be a runner. I'd certainly be a happy Charlie if I were the seller.