Lockdown

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
WCML55.68

Lockdown

Post by WCML55.68 »

Evening all,

Finally getting around to trying out the workbench this evening. CR Dwelling House, first time since March. Ive found it very difficult to get back into the actually doing some modelling swing of things, its been such a strange year and the continuously very warm weather hasnt helped, always wanting to be out, garden mainly.

Ive just discovered this on Hansard, makes for very interesting reading. Re GSWR line to Carlisle.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hans ... ilway-line

Ive also dug out a couple of my old OTT books, jolly good reads and a huge insight into the running of the railways, lots of humour and anecdotes. Nice Christmas pressy if you havent got copies, for those who arent already acquainted, theyre a must, help relieve the current situation.. Id forgotten just how good they are.

1/ "Top Shed" PN Townend. Peter was the last shedmaster at the Kings Cross steam shed until it closed.
2/ "Fiennes on Rails". Gerry Fiennes was another true railway man, worked up through the grades to various regional Manager positions. He was responsible for the purchase of the Deltics and many other upgrades, new ideas and fine tuning. One favourite paragraph is when, as Western Region General Manager, he was on a Class 52 "Western" hauled train to South Wales shortly after their introduction, 11 minutes early at Swindon and later on gets out at Newport to compliment the driver,
Driver They tell me the new GM is on the train,
GF Well he was but he got out at Newport
Driver Did he, he should have gone on to Cardiff. Wonder where the silly b's got too.
GF. Here.
3/ And of course "I tried to run a railway". Gerry Fiennes again
His outspoken books resulted in the evaporation of his railway career.

If you havent got copies, pop them on your Christmas list.

Regards, p.
Jim Summers

Re: Lockdown

Post by Jim Summers »

I just have to brag that I knew Gerry Fiennes. When I was an AYM at Whitemoor, it was not unknown for him to turn up on a train of coal empties, from, say, Angel Road. He would then wander round the yard with me and meet old friends and just enjoy the railway and its people.

I remember him once remarking, after I had been recounting a re-railing enterprise of mine which was somewhat dodgy and not quite legal, that "You have no idea how it feels like to be sitting as Chairman of a board and realise you are the only one round the table who knows one end of a shunting pole from another."

To the staff, he was not the General Manager - he was Gerry, and they knew he knew railway work.

A wonderful man, and there is much wisdom in the two books you recommend.

JimS
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Thats a fair claim to fame Jim and a great anecdote too. I am envious. The anecdotes are what makes Gerry's books. (Peter Townend's too) He sounds like he would do anything for his staff and get the same in return, mutual understanding and respect, unlike the accountants of today......

I dont know if anyone else has been affected by this lockdown and how deeply, but for me it has totally disrupted normal life and routine. The garden has never ever been so tidy and a lot of odd jobs have been ticked off but I have found it terribly difficult to get back into the modelling routine dark evenings. However, last Wednesday saw a 4 hour stint, had to work out where I had left off in March, and then a couple more stints. But Saturday night Sunday morning something woke me up about 03.00. Never found out what although the fridge is suspect but I never went back to bed. By 9 oclock, I had done some 6 hours and continued on to do a 13-hour stint. Never before, its weird. However progress will be added to the appropriate previous thread. Firmly??? back in the driving seat. Now where have I heard that before .......
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Jim,

Stumbled across thias watching some youtube tonight, theres some high quality footage of Whitemoor Yard in it. Doint know if you are aware of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXEdCwQPNM

P