Model Wagon Company

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
simongcr

Model Wagon Company

Post by simongcr »

Do any members have a production list of the kits - CR in particular - that MWC produced many years ago? And whether they have a second or third life with other vendors?

Regards

Simon
Orbiston

Re: Model Wagon Company

Post by Orbiston »

Dont know for sure but the 51L range looks similar
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Wasn't Model Wagon Company Ian Middleditch?

Jim W
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Yes, Ian Middleditch was the principal one behind the MWC.
As I understand it, the range went to 51L, as did many of the castings of fittings mastered by Mike Gilgannon, who was closely associated with Ian.

Not sure I could put my hands on a list of the wagons by MWC, but I will be surprised if the whole range did not go to 51L.

JimS
simongcr

Post by simongcr »

They seem to have lost the cattle wagon - sure there was one.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

In my pending drawer, I have the following Model Wagon Company kits:
C.R. Pig Iron
M.R. Long Low
C.R./N.B. 7 ton Coal with dumb buffers and outside irons (Etch by J Boyle for M.C.W.).
C.R. 8 ton Coke
C.R. 10 ton Van
C.R. Cattle
C.R. 8 ton Mineral
I hope this is of some interest.

Peter
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Following on from my previous post, I can now address the original question, does anybody have a prouction list.
I have come across List No 9 (undated) - 4mm. Here follows the complete list:

MWC1 Great Central/ Cheshire Lines/ LNER/ BR 3 plank open.
MWC2 Highland/ LMS Drommond cattle van.
MWC5 Caledonian/ LMS 8ton end door mineral wagon supplied with additional parts to convert to Coke wagon.
MWC6 Midland/ LMS Long Low Wagon used for cars, machinery etc.
MWC10 North British/ LNER Cattle Van, Wooden underframe.
MWC12 Cambrian/GWR 6 ton Van (bags of atmosphere in this van).
MWC14 Caledonian/ LMS/ BR Drummond Cattle Van.
MWC15 Highland/ LMS Timber Truck dia 7 also used for general goods.
MWC16 Cambrian/ GWR Large Cattle Van similar to large Midland Van.
MWC17 North British/ LNER 8 ton mineral (Jubilee Wagon) also used by P.Os. A very common vehicle.
MWC19 Cambrian/ GWR 2 plank open / slate wagon, interesting wagon with Prince of Wales feathers on sides.
MWC20 Taff Vale/ GWR 10 ton low sided wagon.
MWC21 North Eastern/ LNER/ NCB 10 ton Hopper dia P4
MWC23 G&SWR/ LMS 10 ton open merchandise wagon.
MWC24 Port Talbot/ GWR 10 ton Goods Van.
MWC25 North British/ LNER Brake Van, The Kipps Van,outside framed, as rebuilt from an open brake truck, lovely period look.
MWC36 Great North of Scotland/ LNER Cattle Van.
MWC37 Caledonian/ LMS/BR 10 ton Van outside framed.
MWC41 G&SWR/ LMS/ NCB 10 ton Brake Van.
MWC42 G&SWR/ LMS 11 ton Brake Van.

Limeted Edition Range:
MWCLE1 Great Northern (Ireland) Cattle Van suitable for 21mm gauge.
MWCLE2 Caledonian 7 ton Mineral with offset doors, Dumb Buffers, and special etched outside Irons

Not on this list, but on my previos posting:
CR Pig iron wagon
CR 8 ton Mineral wagon.

MWC also state that they have a limited range of 7mm Scottish Wagons on a seperate list

Regards to all
Peter
simongcr

Post by simongcr »

Thanks Peter, (and others).

That is as I remember it - gaps in the numeric list and all the CR items I can recall, including the special edition 7 ton mineral.

Some of these are almost certainly with 51L and it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison although MWC is so rare I don't have any 'duplicates' yet. Some others seem to be missing like the cattle wagon and mentioned 7 ton mineral (possibly due to the outside w-irons as an added step in making it available).

The Caledonian Railway rolling stock back-catalogue (so to speak) is quite rich but many items are almost impossible to pick up on internet auction sites or through other sources. In some cases, tooling is known to be with manufacturers but has either not been re-released or is just hard to get. We have such a tremendous information cache today for the CR with all the books etc but building a representative collection of models is still subject to some big gaps where scratch building (in 4MM scale at least) should not be necessary.

So thanks again for answering the original question.

Regards,

Simon.
duncan

Post by duncan »

I have discovered a copy of the price list & catalogue in an unbuilt box. The castings & box are clean & pristine, some might be tempted to keep it unbuilt, but this will appear an an extra CR cattle wagon.
Attachments
page 2.PDF
(60.47 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
page 1.PDF
(71.04 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
simongcr

Post by simongcr »

Thank you, Duncan.

This adds the 7mm list and is a great find.

General question to members: should the aim be to create a (not copyright) photographic record of kit parts? Instructions perhaps with agreement of the vendor? Good for sales or posterity if the manufacturer is dormant/defunct.

Regards

Simon
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

I bought the 7mm MWC cattle wagon when it first came out. Think it was at the limits of their small casting machine because the sides were shorter at the top than at the bottom, by a good 2mm or so. I never finished it and did wonder whether they ever solved that on later kits as the patterns were fine.

Mike
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Here's List 10, direct from Ian Middleditch himself. It adds kits 4 and 18 to list number 9.
mwc list 10.jpg
mwc list 10.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Best

Mike
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I have examples of many of the 4mm ones, including the cattle wagon and the 7 T bogie running about on the layout.

Fond memories of them, they were the kits that started me off in CR modelling.

Some of the original instruction sheets could be in a file somewhere if anyone wants a copy.
Carina M

Post by Carina M »

In the posts which list MWC 4mm kits, I was surprised to find no mention of a G&SW cattle van. This prompted me to look at my box of to-be-built kits, which I felt sure contained one. It did, but in a pack labelled "Scottish Cattle Train" (price £9.25), containing four kits - HR (MWC2), NB (MWC10), G&SW (MWC11) and CR (MWC14). I wonder if it was ever issued as a separate kit?

Carina M
jasp

Post by jasp »

Given that the source of MWC kits was Ian Middleditch (Chairman of the GSWRA) I think it likely that he would have made the kit available separately.
Jim P
Orraman

Post by Orraman »

On a recent wet afternoon, I started to collate what I could find out about the MWC kits and for information my results to date (extracted from the internet) are attached.

I have also written to Ian Middleditch, provided him with a copy of the spreadsheet and asked if he has any more information which could be included. Have got some further potential sources to look at but only after the National Library is safe to reopen.

With regard to the instruction sheets, some of these seem to include the kit reference number at the top left of the instructions.

Would agree with the suggestion that an electronic archive of the instructions should be created as a modelling resource.

Any further information welcome.
Eoin
Attachments
Analysis of MWC wagons.xlsx
(14.39 KiB) Downloaded 83 times