External w-irons

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Ian r. weeks

External w-irons

Post by Ian r. weeks »

Could anyone point me to a source of external w irons please. I believe the society etch is no longer available and have been trawling the internet to no avail . The picture of the Bill Bedford etch posted some years ago does not match any available from Eileens at present.
I dearly would like to obtain the " uncranked" leg version. (Reminds me of the hand signal for hillwalkers inviting the helicopter to land and rescue!!)
Thanks , in anticipation Ian
lindsay_g

Re: External w-irons

Post by lindsay_g »

I'm afraid that I don't think there are any straight legged outside W irons available commercially. However, there is talk of the previous Society etch being redone, but that's no good if your need is in the short term.

Cranked versions are available from Eileens (Bill Bedford etch) but they're somewhat oversized, and there is also a cranked etch intended for NER hopper wagons from C&L(?? I'd have to check whether there is any clue to source on the etch).

Lindsay
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Hi Ian
I used the Bill Bedford NER external W-irons for my 'engine tender'. It isn't quite the same as the CR one (the vertical legs are narrower than the crown part), but it's pretty close. These are available from Eileen's Emporium as BBWF004, but Eileen's have unhelpfully not shown the correct picture! I've attached this picture to show that the fret does contain the external W-irons!
20211026_132646.jpg
20211026_132646.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Alan
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

My experience with these is largely limited to the 6/7 ton "Bogies" whereof I have examined rather a lot of photographs. There were axleguards with straight legs, axleguards with bent legs, and axleguards with one leg bent. (I never found any pictures showing both sides of a wagon). I came to the conclusion that they were blacksmith made to fit round the framing. I did try to bend some straight legs, with limited success. Perhaps heating the metal would have helped, No doubt someone will tell me that there was a set of rules for this!

Allan F
jasp

Post by jasp »

Ian
It was intended to provide an etch with a limited number of items, including the W irons you require. These were intended for mineral bogies ( outside framed wagons) but Mike Williams thought they could be produced with W irons moulded in and this is still on the cards, timescale unknown.
How many sets do you need? No promises but I might have the odd set, meantime.
Please pm me and I will have a search:
jasp in the forum member list or [email protected]
Jim P
Ian r. weeks

Post by Ian r. weeks »

Thank you gentlemen for your swift and helpful replies. The fact that the picture on the Eileen's site is incorrect explains a lot of the confusion I had in talking with them. I am in no hurry with this project. I have literally just started the drawings ( brushing off my 50 year old basic 'techie drawing' and am rather loath to elaborate as a, I may have bitten off more than I can chew and b.it is a non. Caley prototype.Hopefully it will keep me occupied this winter. A special thanks to Jim P for the kind offer. I shall not yet take you up on it as I would not wish to diminish your stock for a project which might yet 'hit the buffers' but many thanks for the kind offer.
Thanks again Ian
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Ian,

If you feel you've bitten off more than you can chew then come to the Forum for help and guidance. I've no idea what your experience is, but we all started at the very bottom rung of that ladder, and I can say that when I joined a local P4 group I was an absolute sponge soaking up from the experience of others and giving little or nothing in return other than thanks - seemed all rather embarrassingly one way traffic at the time, but looking back there's no shame in that. Quite the contrary, it would have been folly for me reinventing dozens of wheels working in isolation.

Unless it is a really exotic prototype you are thinking of, I honestly feel that a scratchbuild of a small vehicle is well within the capabilities of an average modeller, it's just knowing how to go about it and then having the confidence to do so. Outside W iron prototypes are really no more complicated than inside iron models. Built with inside bearing wheel units (e.g. from the MJT range of Dart Castings - they're compensated items but can be built as a rigid chassis) the underside can be thrown together rather quickly.

Go for it - when you can lay your hands on the appropriate W irons!

Lindsay