Anbrico Models class 303

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
IanT

Anbrico Models class 303

Post by IanT »

Anbrico Models class 303

I vagely recalled that Anbrico Models offered this kit in the back pages of the "Railway Modeller" in the late 60's, and a little searching brought up this link:

http://anbrico.org/00_Class_303_Emu.htm

Best
Ian
WCML55.68

Re: Anbrico Models class 303

Post by WCML55.68 »

Thanks for posting, was aware of these but certainly not of the calibre or finish expected of todays offerings.
Fingers crossed a manufacturer is listening.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

I remember way back in the late 60s and early 70s when the Glasgow Model Rail exhibitions were held in the McLellan Galleries, that BR had a stall which comprised a 303 on a short length of track - just like the one being present to the Queen. I remember it being in 1960 lined blue livery which was quite interesting and 'retro' at that time. It obviously didn't move and the guys sitting behind it just gave out the then-current standard BR leaflets for West Highland Line etc. By the way, HM and Philip looks really enthused about this addition to their layout.
John
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

I dont remember the BR Class 303 models at all although I think I have a photo, somewhere. But I do remember the HST models at several stations, just a power car and was there a part of a coach, in blue, grey and yellow.
There was also a DC kits offering of a 303, but I never thought it was a particularly good offering and the painting and lining a big problem too.
I also remember the working O-gauge model railway around the Christmas tree on the Glasgow Central station forecourt. Are there any photos?
McLellan Galleries! As a kid my Dad, his brother and me paid a visit to the exhibition, Dad paid us all in and Uncle says I will pay for the visit to the Transport Museum at the Kelvin Hall afterwards. When we got there, it was free, Dads face!!
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

At Euston in the early 70s there were four or five models in glass cases in the booking hall. Probably 2.5in gauge. Never saw any at Glasgow, but I didn't o there until the late 80s.

Mike
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Found a couple of shots of the Glasgow Central Christmas tree model railway.

https://www.glasgowcentraltours.co.uk/n ... Xgeg%3D%3D

https://scontent.fman4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=62A0DB04

Glasgow Central Station through time is on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/GlasgowCentralSt ... 127506009/
Martin Stewart

Model "Blue Train" Class 303

Post by Martin Stewart »

It was interesting to see the discussions on a model "Blue Train "Class 303 EMU.
I actually contacted Accurascale a few months ago regarding manufacturing Class 303 units in their original Caledonian Blue livery.
They will consider this at their development meeting - so fingers crossed it will generate interest to manufacture this iconic and much loved train.
Attached are a few pictures and a shot of unit No.35 which was experimental and with outward opening plug (Peters) doors and thyristor control.
No.35 was the last unit built in the first batch and the only change to second batch unit's was all passenger window frames were aluminium.
Attachments
Original concept drawing
Original concept drawing
scan0003-1.jpg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 325 times
No 35...
No 35...
No 35..jpg (112.81 KiB) Viewed 325 times
No 35..
No 35..
No 35...jpg (105.43 KiB) Viewed 325 times
No 35.
No 35.
No 35....jpg (123.94 KiB) Viewed 325 times
1960 Caledonian Blue
1960 Caledonian Blue
1960 Caledonian Blue.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 325 times
IanT

Post by IanT »

John Paton wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:08 pm By the way, HM and Philip looks really enthused about this addition to their layout.
John
Maybe they were fed up seeing Charles' (or Anne's?) Triang "Princess Royal"?!!!
Ian
IanT

Re: Model "Blue Train" Class 303

Post by IanT »

Martin Stewart wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:50 pm It was interesting to see the discussions on a model "Blue Train "Class 303 EMU.
I actually contacted Accurascale a few months ago regarding manufacturing Class 303 units in their original Caledonian Blue livery.
They will consider this at their development meeting - so fingers crossed it will generate interest to manufacture this iconic and much loved train.
Attached are a few pictures and a shot of unit No.35 which was experimental and with outward opening plug (Peters) doors and thyristor control.
No.35 was the last unit built in the first batch and the only change to second batch unit's was all passenger window frames were aluminium.
Thanks Martin, I hope Accurascale take the plunge.
I enjoyed your photos of 035. I travelled to and from school in the 303's for 9 years. I had forgotten about the experimental modification to the passenger doors.
Ian