Structure drawings

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
John Duffy

Structure drawings

Post by John Duffy »

As modellers of things Caledonian we are reasonably well off with available drawings for locomotives and wagons but do we have a source for drawings of structures?

In particular I am in search of Northern Area overbridges for roads and streams and if possible details on the smaller timber station buildings.

Can anyone post me in the right direction?

Thanks

John
John Paton

Re: Structure drawings

Post by John Paton »

Hello John,

The Associations drawing collection contains building drawings, and a list of the available drawings can be viewed using the 'Archive' tab on the website. When you click on that tab you can see an index on the left - click on CRA6 "Drawings and plans". That takes you to a further menu. If you choose CRA6/2 "Buildings and structures" you get a further menu. Clicking on CRA 6/2/1 takes you to an alphabetical list of all drawings in the collection.

There are a limited number of northern division station drawings in the collection, and this may be because in the late 1960s Duncan Burton told me that there was a big bonfire of 'redundant' drawings at Perth.

I do have a certain number of northern division station drawings, but most of these are on the CRA list, and the rest have been published in the True Line over the years. If you let me know which station you are interested in, I can see whether a drawing exists for it, or of anther station of similar design from which you could get dimensions from and use photos to adapt these drawings.

John
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

Many thanks John. I had looked through the archive but didn't see any. I was looking for details of the Forfar- Brechin line. Many years ago I was involved in building a model of Careston but I did not have the source information. That information is no longer available so I trying to get details from other sources.

Regards

John
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

John,

There are various drawings available for scrutiny/possible purchase from the ‘National Records of Scotland’. Just access their on-line catalogue and make a suitable enquiry to see what is available. Their web-site can be located at : ‘www.nrscotland.gov.uk’, and proceed from there.

However, a small hint: from a recent check on their system, it is best to enter, say, ‘Forfar railway station’ when entering the ‘search’ parameter, as ‘Forfar’ on its own is likely to provide you with a very wide assortment of available material, not all of which will be relevant to railway matters.

Good hunting!!

Arnold T
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

John,

There are quite a number of good photos of Justinhaugh and Careston stations, and quite a few years ago I started attempting to do a drawing of this station type. Other projects got in the way and I never finished the drawing - and at the moment I cant even find the drawing. I think that Tannadice was a slightly shorter version. I'll see if I can find the drawing. I can send photos to you if you want - I suggest that you send your email address to me by Private Message.

John