Edwardian figures in 4mm scale

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
tony brenchley

Edwardian figures in 4mm scale

Post by tony brenchley »

Both Dave Lochrie and I have been in touch with Andrew Sladden about his proposed range of 4mm scale figures. Andrew has an established business making fine scale figures cast in pewter. The 7mm modellers amongst us may already know of his work as he has a small range to this scale. The main part of his business is apparently military models made to larger scales.

Andrew had some sample pre-production 4mm figures on display on the Scalefour Society stand at the recent Scaleforum. He was asking for expressions of interest in a proposed range of period figures and I contacted him also stating the interest of the many 4mm modellers in the CRA who were not able to get to Scaleforum.

Andrew has kept me up-to-date on progress. He is planning to do a range of 20 different figures as this gives him the most economic use of his moulding equipment. This will include 10 'upper class' figures and 10 'middle and working class' subjects. The photo attached shows what is likely to be the final form of the upper class folk.

I put in a bid for some Victorian/Edwardian engine crew pointing out that these are very conspicuous in our open cabs. In am not sure if Andrew has taken the bait but I will work on this one.

If you are interested in these please contact Andrew at http://www.acsladden.co.uk to confirm your interest.

Tony B
acsladden fighures.jpg
acsladden fighures.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 22626 times
jasp

Re: Edwardian figures in 4mm scale

Post by jasp »

The guy's name is Andrew Stadden so try www.acstadden.co.uk
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I also made contact with Andrew Stadden to register interest after Scaleforum and was surprised by the prompt, helpful and informative reply which I received. He deserves encouragement.

Jim S
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Apologies to anybody who followed my incorrect spelling of Andrew Stadden's name. No explanations other than dodgy eyesight and lack of attention.

Tony B
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Attached is the latest photo from Andy Sladden showing the masters for the full set of 20 figures. Andy has promised me information on prices and availability as soon as this is available and I will post a note on the Forum when I have it.

Tony B[

attachment=0]acstadden figures 2 red .jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
acstadden figures 2 red .jpg
acstadden figures 2 red .jpg (158.43 KiB) Viewed 22501 times
Barry Rhys

Post by Barry Rhys »

tony brenchley wrote:Attached is the latest photo from Andy Sladden
Or Stadden :D

Neil
Half Welsh, 100% Yorkshireman
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Sorry - I seem to have Sladden stuck in my head - probably because I worked with a chap called Sladden for many years. I will try to not make this mistake again.

Tony B
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Please find below the text of an email from Andy Stadden announcing the availability of the Edwardian figures;

The first two Andrew C Stadden OO Gauge Figure sets are now on sale at
http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/oogaugefigures.aspx

Each set of ten figures is £10 plus £1.50 P&P UK up to 3 sets, £3 up to 6 sets.
Purchases can be made using the shopping cart on my http://www.acstadden co.uk website.
If overseas please select the correct postage option.

Alternatively you can pay by cheque made out to 'Andrew C Stadden'
and send to Mr A C Stadden, 41 Cove Road, Rustington, West Sussex, BN16 2QN.

Any problems or questions please email [email protected]

Thank you for your interest in this project, if the demand is there the next sets will be Edwardian Railway Staff and Workmen.

Regards,

Andrew C Stadden

Its over to you now guys!

Tony B
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

here is a couple of figures from Andrew's first sets of Edwardian figures painted by my son, Simon.

Sorry about the graininess.

Cheers

John
Attachments
tmp_20140107_205231-1-2-1-546389880.jpg
tmp_20140107_205231-1-2-1-546389880.jpg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 22269 times
tmp_20140107_205231-1-1-1-315706102.jpg
tmp_20140107_205231-1-1-1-315706102.jpg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 22269 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

The colours certainly bring out the character, John, and Simon is to be congratulated.
I ordered the two sets and received them very promptly at Christmas, but haven't got round to the painting. I can recommend them.

Jim S
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

My daughters gave me half a dozen sets for Christmas and I have only now got round to starting to paint them. I can confirm that these are the best 4mm figures I have come across. They are beautifully proportioned and exquisitely detailed. They paint up extremely well and at £1 per figure, as cheap, if not cheaper than other cast metal figures. The set of children are particularly recommended.

While comparisons may be odious, I have also painted up some Mike Pegg figures, which are noticeably chunkier and perhaps slightly over scale. The poses are good but at £1.99 each, twice the price of Stadden fires. A few mixed in with them adds variety, though few people were six feet or over in Edwardian times. Pete Goss figures are similar in size, half the price, but much cruder; I have struggled to paint some of the details and some faces are poorly detailed, to say the least. The plastic Modelu range are more expensive at £2 each but well proportioned and detailed. Unfortunately they are more suited to the 1920s/30s, being part of the Pendon range (but a bit of judicious addition of Milluput and some cunning painting can make them quite acceptable).

Some I have yet to start are the John Day range - they come in cameos featuring two or three working figures and some props. They come in at £5.99 a set. The men are fairly chunky, and look suitable for the Edwardian period and perhaps up to the 1950s.

The other range I have dabbled with are the plastic Preiser range. These are HO figures and so are on the small side. but they are well designed, proportioned and cast. The seated range is modern but can populate carriages; the set of 'Railway personnel and other figures around 1900', catalogued 334, is a lovely set of figures but may no longer be available. Gaugemaster stock painted sets of Preiser figures but these may be too expensive for what are, lamentably, underscale figures.
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I have painted a lot of Andy Staddens figures over the last few years, they are top class.

A few pics of them standing about the platform building which has been my modelling focus for the last five months.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -in-place/
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Dave

You have made a superb job of painting Andrew Stadden's figures. They are really lifelike. The station is rather good too.

I notice in the third picture you have one of the Caley's 'railway servants', with a dark blue jacket, grey trousers and a buff waistcoat. Was this the standard uniform of station staff? I ask because I have a set undercoated as I type.

Larry
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

From what I can see in photos I rather think the trousers should also be a dark blue or black.

There does however seem to be be a bit of variation, and some of the figures will get a bit more toning down in time.

Mind you, I'm sure some staff added personal touches to the uniform from time to time.
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Dave

Thanks for the heads up. I have settled on black for the uniforms. The layout (Shieldinch) will be at Pollokshaws Burgh Hall this Saturday and Sunday, running Caley (with an NB interloper!).

Larry