Gauge 1 modelling

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
jim mac

Gauge 1 modelling

Post by jim mac »

I thought that the Forum members might be interested in the exchange of emails arising from a discussion at the Leatherhead show.
"Dear Jim
I had a phone call yesterday from my friend David Brutnell who said he had had a chat with you at Leatherhead on Saturday.
He built my Class 60 model in Gauge One to ⅓2 scale. It is spirit fired (meths) using a chicken feed sump in the tender and 3 wick tubes in the firebox. The paint job is by Alan Brackenborough and is a joy to behold.
This photo was taken this summer running at a Get Together in Essex with my bogie coaches. Photo taken by our Newsletter editor, Bill Read
Same loco photographed on my bookcase indoors - the blue appears darker here but it was a different camera .
Kind regards
Peter Trinder

Peter
Thank you for the photographs; it really is a beautiful locomotive with a very impressive rake of Caley coaches. I had previously seen a photograph in the Gauge 1 Journal, which I presume was the same locomotive.
The changing shades of blue in photographs, allows the debate as what was “Caledonian Blue” to continue. I have been heavily involved with CR828, following her around on visits to the heritage railway and don’t think I have seen two photographs which look the same colour. Having been party to deciding which BSI paint to use we have yet to capture a true representation.
David’s Sou’West locomotive is another very fine creation.
Best regards
Jim"
class 60 (1).jpg
class 60 (1).jpg (312.15 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Attachments
GSWR.jpg
GSWR.jpg (301.45 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
class 60 (3).jpg
class 60 (3).jpg (205.06 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
class 60 (2).jpg
class 60 (2).jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Jim Summers

Re: Gauge 1 modelling

Post by Jim Summers »

Never mind the colour, don't these look absolutely great?
And I have to say that I generally am not inspired by G&SWR locos, but that one is as handsome a specimen as I have ever seen.
Great to see such photos on the Forum.

Jim