Potential new 4mm Jumbo kit?

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
iainkirk

Re: Potential new 4mm Jumbo kit?

Post by iainkirk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:06 am

Nice to see that this project coming to fruit.
As for the tender options? The Lambie would do me fine.
Would Peter sell just the loco as another option mind?
Then one could go for the McIntosh from Jim Smellie or am I just over egging the omlete? ;)
May we have the clarity to see our work, the courage to embrace it, and the capacity to discharge it.
Robert Fripp

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Kinda what I was thinking. The Lambie and Drummond options will do just fine. If I do my Caley 123 kit as in her railtour days, I will have the spare 3130 gal tender from the London Road kit. Unsure which group this falls under but it could easily find its way behind a model Jumbo as per the full size tender.

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Fri May 22, 2015 3:35 pm

I spoke to Peter Stanger at EM Expo on 17th May. He is unfortunately running behind with his latest kit, so it looks like the possible May launch for the Jumbo kit has slipped. But it definitely is next on his list! I had the opportunity to handle some of his most recent offerings, and was most impressed with the quality (even although some were of NB prototypes!).

Alan

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Fri May 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks, Alan. I really am looking forward to this one.

DT

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Fri May 22, 2015 9:19 pm

I do see Pete on a more or less monthly basis at the NE and Borders Finescale group and would echo the above. Pete is still very much on board but has a couple of NB projects underway which are taking longer than anticipated. Once these are in the bag, more progress will be made on the Jumbo but it's most certainly still cooking!
One of those NB projects is a very nice Scott class 4-4-0. I did hint that a Pickersgill to similar standards would indubitably be well received. :-)

Dave.

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Sat May 23, 2015 2:24 pm

A Pickersgill would be great - keep encouraging him on that one, Dave!

DT

iainkirk

Post by iainkirk » Sun May 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Mmmmmmm!
I might be back at work by then :lol:
Something which is a pleasure to contemplate mind...
May we have the clarity to see our work, the courage to embrace it, and the capacity to discharge it.
Robert Fripp

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:35 am

Folks. I realised that this thread had not been updated for some time so I think you deserve an update.
Some of you may already be aware of this but Pete suffered a stroke last year and although he is recovering, it is a long process.
Pete is however making progress and although it will take a while before he gets back to working on kits he did state when I last saw him that the Jumbo was still very much in progress. It will likely follow on from the Scott 4-4-0 Pete had been working on prior to his illness.

Dave.

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks for that, Dave. The delay has however spurred me on to getting my ancient DJH Jumbo (which I originally built in 00 gauge well over 30 years ago) converted to and running in P4. I did have to carve away a lot of white metal though.

DT

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:38 pm

If the kit is as good as the advanced information suggests and it is suitable for P4 standards I might have 2, one a Drummond with the Drummond tender and the other a Lambie/McIntosh with a Lambie tender.
Tony B

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:55 am

Meantime, working on the premise that you can never have too many Jumbos, I recently acquired two old DJH Jumbos and a 782 kit for the irresistable price of £35.
All will be getting the EM treatment!

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm

How are things progressing with the new Jumbo kit?

David

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 pm

A quick update, folks.
The kit is still at the development stage. Whilst progress is by necessity slow, due to Pete's health issue, he is slowly getting up to speed again and in addition to preparing the CADs has produced a test etch. While Pete asked me to stress that things are still some fair time away from production, what I have seen of the test etch is very, very encouraging. CADS for both Drummond and Lambie tender variants are in development. Other Caley staples look quite likely from this source in the fullness of time.
All the best.

Dave.

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:14 am

That's good news, Dave - both as to the kit and as to Pete's improving state of health. And I did like that little hint about other Caley staples....

DT

iainkirk

Post by iainkirk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am

Splendid...
All good things come through patience and understanding.
Robert Fripp

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm happy to add my name to the list of buyers.

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:41 am

And me. Graham

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am

Have there been any further developments on this front?

Lindsay

David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 am

I asked Peter Stanger about this when I ordered an NB C16 kit from him in September. He replied: "The Jumbo is still on the cards but designing 2 different locos and three tenders to cover about 80% of the class is more work than I originally estimated. Pressure of other work has meant that it's on the back burner at the moment. I'm busy getting 6-G9's ready for dispatch at the moment.............Lots of innovative and novel features but also lots of machining of special parts".

The C16, I should add, is a terrific kit and if that's the general 52F standard the Jumbo should be well worth waiting for.

DT

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 am

I'm not quite sure why I didn't respond to this one sooner.

Having to provide etches for 2 locos and 3 tenders is obviously adding to the development time, possibly detracting from enthusiasm to develop, and will inevitably escalate the price. Is there a case for looking at this a bit more pragmatically to cut down the number of variations yet still cover a good percentage of the Jumbo complement and overall demand? The early underslung tender might be one to avoid as there are presently no castings, so one other thing less to consider. I'm assuming that the 2 engine designs are down to the placement of the safety valve - I'm not going back to the books to see if this is actually the case - so, if the engines are the same body-wise, can't that be reduced to one etch with half etched holes showing placement of the upper boiler gear?

At the end of the day, the end result might involve more work for anyone trying to model a particular example, but it might mean that an etch that goes some way to satisfying demand actually reaches fruition. Just a thought!

Lindsay

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 pm

I'm confused: Peter Stanger told me in 2015 that he had dropped the idea of having 3 tenders, and would only go with the original Drummond and the Lambie ones! I can't understand why he would want to revise that, given that the whole thing has dragged on for such a long time. It sounds to me that it's not just on the back burner, but on a high shelf where you can't see what's there any more!

Alan