Stevens ground frames

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
John Lindsay

Stevens ground frames

Post by John Lindsay »

Does anyone know if any manufacturer does models of Stevens two lever ground frames in 4mm scale?
Jim Summers

Re: Stevens ground frames

Post by Jim Summers »

I wish I did know.
The forthcoming book on Caledonian Signalling, which I am still wrestling with, will have wee section on ground frames and Messrs Stevens, and it would be great to be able to say an etch was available.

Perhaps those who would be interested in such a thing, would indicate the scale and numbers needed, and we can then perhaps interest an etcher of repute.

Jim S
charles d

Post by charles d »

Jim

I would be interested in taking 2/3 (in 4mm), especially if they could be combined/expanded - hopefully the Forthcoming Book will cover

Regards

Charles
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

I would certainly like one is 4mm scale for my version of Blairgowrie.

The ground frame at Blair has 2 levers and was located just outside the overall roof between the passnger line and goods shed road. Presumably each of the levers operated a turnoout. The frame was opened by a key issued to the engine driver by the signalman. The signalman thus retained some control over this movement although trhe stationmaster had overall responibility for engine and train movements inside the signal cabin.

There was agood colour photo of Blairgowrie published in Backtrack a number of years ago that shows the body of the ground frame dumped on the ground near the goods shed. When I have worked out how to do it I will posty this photo of the Forum.

Tony B
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Attached 2 photos featuring the ground frame at Blairgowrie.

Tony B
Ground frame 8.1.55.jpg
Ground frame 8.1.55.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
Ground frame 23.4.62.jpg
Ground frame 23.4.62.jpg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

There is a good photo of the Biggar ground frame on page 154 of Pebbles Railways by Peter Marshall. It was taken by Monty Smith and is part of the Ron Glendinning collection.

I would be very interested in any etchings that might become available.

John L
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

I have some drawings of Stevens & Co lever equipment from contemporary trade publications, in the files somewhere, which will help. As well as the Monty Smith photo of the Biggar ground frame I have some photos of the release frame at Oban at the new Ballachulish Bays.
Meantime for interesting details have a look at the 305mm: Foot kit being assembled by The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Group at Leven, a mix of both ex NBR and ex CR components.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ee-frames/ and
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... nd-signal/

Dave L
Last edited by Dave Lochrie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I would certainly be interested in the Stevens catalogue material, Dave. I have been looking in vain for such a thing for the Caledonian Signalling book.

The CRA has been in touch with the good fellow restoring the Stevens Knee Frame and arranged for some parts to be supplied by the SRPS at Bo'ness.

This weekend a couple of us will be in a position to see if our tame etcher would take on a Stevens ground frame in 4mm, so are there any more expressions of interest?

Jim S
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Jim,
The catalogue illustrations are for a Dwarf Frame, which you probably know (but I didn't) is a different arrangement from a Ground Frame. I'm sure they would have been used on platform mounted boxes (like Lesmahagow) where there wouldn't be the height for a vertical frame.
Stevens Dwarf Frame.jpg
Stevens Dwarf Frame.jpg (107.77 KiB) Viewed 8919 times
The Standard Stevens pattern frame which also features on the Type 3 Signal Box cross-section you posted recently, I think you already have.
The final drawing has the Stevens Interlocking Ground Frame as per the Monty Smith photo of Biggar, from the Ron Glendinning collection, which I will post (and remove if requested) so that other readers can understand what I'm talking about (hopefully). The position and casing for the tablet locking equipment differs from the photo, but the frame and levers are the same.The drawing is also featured in Leonard P. Lewis' Book
Stevens Ground Frame.jpg
Stevens Ground Frame.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 8919 times
Ground Frame -Biggar.jpg
Ground Frame -Biggar.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 8919 times
David L

PS If your friendly etcher wants he can have artwork for Caley Mileposts, I've also got less impressive quality artwork or reference photos for CR and NBR traders registration plates as well as Hurst Nelson, Pickering and Hamilton Wagon Plates, all of which would need redrawing for commercial etching. I do not have artwork yet for the platform barrow you measured, sorry!
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

At the risk of boring some folk, thank you for those images, Dave.

Our tame etcher has done mileposts for the NB folk, and here is his website.

www.nbr4mm.co.uk

It is well worth a look.

It is beginning to sound as if some of us should have a wee think as to all the Caledonian impedimenta we would like on an etch (even a platform barrow), and see if we could commission such a thing from my pal.

I'll start a new topic so that folk can declare interest without cluttering other topics.

Jim
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I would certainly be interested in such an etch in 4mm.