New RTR mineral wagon

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Mike 1

Re: New RTR mineral wagon

Post by Mike 1 »

Just browsing my copy of the excellent CRA "Modelling the Caledonian" list and noticed the comment about the Parkside NBR Jubilee wagon "can be converted to CR". I assume that applies to the Bachman model too. Have compared pictures and read the notes on here about the differences, but has anyone actually altered either model to represent a Caledonian Railway wagon?

Thanks,

Mike
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Douglas

I have fitted end hoops to the Oxford Models wagons and many other wagons mostly scratch built. I mass produce them by winding nickel silver or brass wire of appropriate size round a piece of 3mm brass rod. Get them as tight together on the rod as you can using fine pliers so you have spiral. Move the spiral to the end of the rod hold in a clamp and use a piercing saw with fine blade to cut into across the hoops individually. I use an 80 blade for this job.

Drill out the locations on each side of the end door on the wagon with a 0.35mm drill, open the hoop slightly and spring it into place in the holes you have just drilled. Close up the hoop with pliers taking care not to distort it. Repeat ad infinitum.

TonB
jasp

Post by jasp »

Tony
You say you have a converted Oxford Rail wagon.
Could you expand on how you coped with compensation/springing as I found that removing the W iron/axle box mouldings and thinning to allow P4 wheels resulted in very little material to attach these to the solebars.
Thanks
Jim P
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

If anyone has made these improvements and finished it as a Caledonian wagon, could we see a picture please? And did you change the planing on the doors, or other changes too?

Mike
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

After tinkering around with trying to use the plastic components from the wagon I opted for replacement etched w-irons and 51L NBR axle box/spring castings.

The Caley had the equivalent diagram 22 wagons we did as a TLM kit. The diagram 22 wagons may also have been called "jubilee" wagons as they also dated from 1887.However the NBR type are useful to me and many others, I suspect, as the NBR design was also used by Scottish wagon builders for orders from a number of large coal masters for wagons with dead buffers and many of these were subsequently sold to private traders when they were obliged by the new Board of Trade regulations to fit sprung buffers. The cost of this conversion was thus passed to the new owners.

A number of coal merchants at Blairgowrie had wagons from this source and one had new wagons built by RYP Pickering described in the order book "as NBR type with fixed ends". I don't think this conversion would be possible using the Oxford Models wagons but I have scratch built a couple of NBR Jubilee wagons with dead buffers to represent these wagons. The Oxford Model wagons are destined to become more Blairgowrie traders wagons.

I regret I am not at home now but I can post photos later if anybody wants these.

Tony B
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Yes please Tony. In due course.

Mike
theparley

Post by theparley »

Tony,

Thank you for the guidance on the fitting of door loops on, in my case, the Oxford Rail Jubilee wagon. most appreciated and helpful.

Notwithstanding its cataloged inaccuracies, I think the Oxford Rail Jubilee wagon is a worthy addition to the ready-to-run market.

Bachmann wagons have raised lettering and this requires a wagon to be paint-stripped before re-painting. However the Oxford wagon lettering is commendably thin and I find that a quick spray of Halfords' primer is all that's required to enable repainting to proceed.

On a related matter, it is accepted that whereas enamel paint can be applied over acrylic, the opposite has an adverse outcome. Johnsons Klear is supposedly an acrylic, but I haven't encountered any problems after over-painting with enamels. Does anyone have any comments ?

Douglas
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Douglas,

For many years I've painted my 2mm scale wagons with enamel and then lettered them with acrylics. I've had no problems.
Dixons + bogie.JPG
Dixons + bogie.JPG (50.39 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Jim W
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

Very nice Jim. Very nice indeed.

Mike